Windows 7 Can I restore windows.old folder on windows 7 ultimate after being deleted?

fspcherishes

Basically, I used Disk Cleanup utility on a windows 7 Ultimate machine to delete the Windows.old folder only to discover that it contained a critical amount of data in the 'users/JonDoe/' which was referenced to from the upgrade by a simple shortcut on the desktop. How can I recover the windows.old folder in windows 7 ultimate after it has been deleted? I know that there are thousands of 'undelete' programs out there, but which one is free, no limitations in trial and highly recommended? Does Microsoft have a utility to undo? Ive looked but can't seem to find anything, please help.:(

As you say, there are many undelete programs out there and you can either have the best or the cheapest - depends on how important the data is to you. Recuva is one of the more commonly used freebies:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

ZAR is one of the better paid ones which I use:

Data Recovery Software, Solutions, Tutorials, Forum - ZAR Data Recovery

In any case you must follow the basic rule of not using the drive from which the data was lost - the more you use it the more data will become irrevocably over-written.

FOUND SOLUTION

"If you've got old system restore points available you can simply mount one then browse to your windows.old folder and copy it back to your current hard drive. System Restore Point browser/ mounter can be found here:http://nicbedford.co.uk/software/systemrestoreexplorer/
Direct dowload link for installer:
nicbedford.co.uk/files/InstallSys
Don't forget to dismount afterwards."

THIS WORKED A TREAT!!!

PS. I noticed links are cut short, so the program/utility is called
System Restore Explorer on the above links.

Last edited:
Well done - you must have got to it very quickly after deletion so nothing was damaged.

Well done - you must have got to it very quickly after deletion so nothing was damaged.

I did, Pat thank you. As soon as I realized, I stopped immediately and looked for a solution. Thank you for your suggestion, other members on other sites made the same suggestion, so will 'store as backup'!

Back