Windows 7 Can I use my retail DVD to install Student version

mikeycollins

Title says it all really. I have the full retail version and my wife has paid for the student version. I was wondering if I can use my DVD to install and use the licence code from her purchase; that way it saves a download.

Michael

You have to have your own key and it has to match the version you install... the key will work on either 32 or 64 bit

If your wife's version is different from the one you have your key for, (say she got student and you have pro key) you can't use the install disk without deleting a file called ei.cfg in the \sources folder. Since you can't delete it on the disk it's not easy.

Hi Mikey,

Yup, tb is right on the button.

The dvd you have contains the files capable of installing all Editions. However, at the moment it has that little ei.cfg file in the sources folder.

That restricts it to installing Whatever Edition key you bought with it.

If you bought Pro Edition and got the dvd with that. You can use your dvd and your wife's Pro key to install on her machine.

If you bought a different Edition ( e.g. Home Premium) . then unless you delete that ei.cfg file - it will only be able to install Home Premium - and only in response to a Home Premium key.

You can of course, put the dvd in the drive on your wife's machine, rt click and copy the dvd - paste to another partition.

Then look in the sources folder - delete ei.cfg.

Then run setup from there and it will accept whatever Edition key you enter.

Or, once you have the dvd contents to a HD and dleted ei.cfg - just rebuild that into a bootable .iso and burn to dvd.

You can use that new dvd to install any Edition you put the key in for.

Very easy to do - and free:

Bootable ISO - Create from Installation Files - Windows 7 Forums

I think I have all the links for Win 7 iso on Microsoft's site for 3 languages and Pro and Home Preminum and 32 and 64 bit in my last blog. It's probably easier to download to match your key than all the steps to copy disk, del ei.cfg then burn again. Still haven't found where the Ultimate group is.

Takes me 5 mins to copy dvd to HD - seconds to delete the file - 3 mins to create the iso - another 4 mins to burn to dvd.

Then again , I have done it before.

Or use PowerIso ( or similar) - you do need the paid version , sadly.

Pick up the .iso - delete the file - click Save, or Save As to create another. That's quicker still.

That's a handy collection of links, tb.

Last edited:
Takes me 5 mins to copy dvd to HD - seconds to delete the file - 3 mins to create the iso - another 4 mins to burn to dvd.

Then again , I have done it before.

Or use PowerIso ( or similar) - you do need the paid version , sadly.

Pick up the .iso - delete the file - click Save, or Save As to create another. That's quicker still.

That's a handy collection of links, tb.

Thanks... took some "research"

However, I let my computer do all your steps while I play cards.

Title says it all really. I have the full retail version and my wife has paid for the student version. I was wondering if I can use my DVD to install and use the licence code from her purchase; that way it saves a download.

Michael

Just depends. What retail version did you order and is her student version Home Premium. If they are both Home Premium it will work fine.

Back