Windows 7 Can not access my shared folders on windows 7 computer from my xp pro laptop

hassouna

[h=1]I have a windows 7 os on my main pc and xp pro on my laptop. when i try to access files on my main pc (windows 7) from my xp pro laptop I get asked for a user name and password. Yet when I do it the other way round I have full access with out any password ect. I have not set up any passwords and have tried my home group password but not got any joy. I have 2 other laptops both running windows 7 and have no problems networking between all windows 7 systems. all computers are running norton firewall and are configered the same.[/h]Would love a solve to problem as is driving me NUTS!!!!!

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Network and Sharing Center. Click on "Change advanced sharing settings".You don't want to use Homegroup unless you have all Windows 7 machines . The Windows 7 network type should be "Home" or "Work", not "Public". In the Advanced Sharing:

Turn ON network discovery
Turn ON file and printer sharing
Turn ON sharing in the Public folder sharing section
Turn ON password protected sharing

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, turning on Window's File and Printer Sharing as above will take care of this for you. In XP you can run the Network Setup Wizard or just enable File/Printer Sharing in the Windows XP Firewall's exceptions. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines.DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES .

Back