Windows 8 Can Panasonic Smart TV work as PC monitor?

Mr C

Connected Win 8 PC to TX-L42E6B TV using HDMI cable. BIOS screen shows then it goes black when the OS loads.

Added a dumb monitor on VGA. That stays black during initial boot, but becomes the monitor as soon as Windows starts.

Going into Screen resolution only shows one screen (the old monitor). But I can play videos from the PC on the TV using 'Play to', so it appears the HDMI cable is fine.

Any thoughts on how I get around this? I would like to use the TV as the sole monitor for the PC.

If you have a PC with an HDMI output, it should not be a problem using a TV with HDMI inputs... You may need to choose the HDMI signal sources on each device.

Have you checked the resolution for the output of the PC and input for the TV? Most newer ones are 1920x1080, if your system can do that.

I can't adjust the resolution because Windows doesn't recognise the TV in Screen resolution.

I have tried all sorts of approaches, including deleting all apps and returning to factory settings, but have only mnade limited progress.

I now have this slightly bizarre situation -

If I have both screens connected -

On initial boot the Lenovo logo shows up on the TV, not the monitor

When Windows loads it shows up on the monitor, not the TV

If I go into the BIOS editor it shows up on both screens

If I boot into Windows Safe Mode it shows up on the TV

If I go into Screen resolution when in full Windows only the VGA monitor shows, the TV is not recognised

If I go into Screen resolution when in Safe Mode only the HDMI connected TV shows, the monitor is not recognised

After being in Safe Mode I've tried rebooting into full fat Windows with the VGA connection unplugged, but it still comes up with a black TV screen and I have to plug the VGA back in to see anything

Not sure what to try next....

Did you set it up to extend on 2nd screen (Charms bar>>> Devices>> Second Screen) ?

windows-8-charms-bar-project-to-connected-screen.png

Mine works fine on 47" Toshiba Regza:

IMAG2704.jpg

No 'Second Screen' selection available, but I get the same options from Win + P - but they have no impact. Windows doesn't seem to want to know about a second screen.

Nice set up you have there.

Thanks. You haven't seen my main setup yet. I am running 4 monitors (3x24" & 1x19") on 2 video cards. :)

SIG05.png

If you didn't get this sorted out by the time I get home, I'll check the driver I used for the TV if there's any. I don't remember. I am at work right now.

Cheers!

I just checked my setup and it only uses a generic driver. But when I go to screen resolution setting, it recognizes my TV so I can change the resolution. What video card do you have on your Win 8 PC? It's probably not dual-monitor ready. Mine is just the on-board video card (HDMI & VGA) and the TV is an outdated 47" Toshiba Regza. It's not a smart TV that's why I just connected a PC to it.

Screenshot (12).png

I guess a couple of observations.

Some TVs have specific HDMI inputs or even DVI inputs for computers. I don't suppose you have seen anything that mentions that in the literature?

Also, not all HDMI cables are alike, an early version might limit the resolution in some manner. The fact the TV stops showing the signal after boot would make me think when the system went to its normal resolution the TV could not see it.

Most TVs are also 60 Hz refresh rate as is an LCD type monitor. A VGA monitor might use something higher. If you had the TV shown on your Desktop options, you could check that.

Video outputs may also be limited as to which ones you can use at the same time. Do you have anything other than the HDMI and VGA outputs?

Back