anotherwindowsuser

Hi,

So previously I posted to ask if we can stop things like updates running when I boot up windows 10, I wondered is there a more generic way of running this OS so that I can use it for the pure purpose of playing a DVD say, and it not do a load of other things? Thanks.

If you allow Windows to run when you aren't using the computer, you can schedule updates to install during inactive periods. However, this can take a lot of energy. Make sure you allow at least the screen to turn off.

If you allow Windows to run when you aren't using the computer, you can schedule updates to install during inactive periods. However, this can take a lot of energy. Make sure you allow at least the screen to turn off.

Well I'd rather it not update unless I tell it to. I rarely use Windows, I use Linux.

I just wondered is there a feature to utilise the cool n quiet technology better in windows? I think I saw a feature some years ago but not sure if that was on a radeon graphics card, it effectively meant if the cpu was getting hot it wouldn't kick in to high speed until it absolutely had to or something like that. In windows 10 the cpu fan hits high speed and stays there for a couple of minutes before settling down and all it did was open up four webpages.