Windows 10 Can you run windows fix mbr within windows?

anotherwindowsuser

Hi,

Has some strange issue today, windows 10 laughingly did an update and I still don't know how to stop it from doing whatever it bleeping feels like on that front, but during reboot the computer turned itself off, bios then claims there was a power surge (very possible been extremely windy in the uk today re power lines) and then it wouldn't boot up. After pratting about for an hour with windows boot up disk it still did not help, however curiously I managed to get windows to boot up with one last go before going to reinstall it. Anyway, I would like to clear and repair the mbr, it currently has a linux grub setup on it but for some reason it doesn't boot windows (windows is on a separate ssd to linux). My question is can I safely run the following commands whilst in windows or do i need to be out of it during boot up? Thanks in advance.
  • Bootrec.exe/fixmbr
  • Bootrec.exe/fixboot
  • Bootrec.exe/rebuildbcd

It turns out you can fix the mbr within the windows system if you hold shift key when you click restart on the windows menu, it lets you boot up in safe mode.

I then found on youtube there is a command to get you around the access denied error when you try to run the bootrec /fixboot and the answer is to type in bootsect/nt60 sys and then you can run the command. My windows boot problem is now fully resolved and I have just booted into windows whilst it was the only SSD connected to the computer (remember linux put parts of grub on it which stopped it).

Back