Windows 7 Cannot access Downloads folder

Carson Dyle

Extraordinary Member
Since installing Windows 7 Pro I've had odd issues with the default Downloads folder. Long story, but I've had three or four different Downloads folders - under the user profile, on the desktop, in the root folder...

The one I'd been using was located at C:\users\Carson\Downloads. To test something (the behavior of Firefox) I deleted that folder. I ran Firefox and downloaded something and it re-created the folder in the same location.

But... Now I can't access the folder. When I access the folder properties and the owner, it tells me 'Unable to display current owner'. I can't delete it, can't change permissions. How can I get control of the folder again?

(Yes, I know I can download into any folder I like. Many applications, such as browsers, use the default downloads folder location, so it's a lot simpler to just use it and not define another.)

For tonight, how about setting up a different download location for Firefox, and some of us will look at it tomorrow..

If you change what controls the folder, maybe you can manipulate it. I can duplicate your situation tomorrow to see if I notice anything.+

Here's what happened. I have no idea how or why.

I downloaded something in Google Chrome, which placed it in the same Downloads folder. Now I can access it. Looking at the folder, the owner is now Administrators.

You might be able to restore the downloads folder by right clicking and selecting restore previous versions. You may loose your current files in that directory.

But that folder is one of the basic Windows 7 folders. It is mirrored in the Favorites lineup and can be removed from that if you want. There may be a way to move it to another location, if that is what you want.

But my downloads folder shows my user as the owner, with full control. If you don't show the correct icon, it is located in the imageres.dll file in the Windows\System32 directory.

If you would explain what you are trying to accomplish, it might help us.

Last edited:
See the post above. I'm able to access it now, for some unknown reason. I've changed the owner to myself and even fixed the icon (thanks for the tip).

Back