Windows 7 Cannot access some programs with right-click

Hiram

Extraordinary Member
I have a laptop which I upgraded from Vista to Win7. On it, there are a few programs, especially "File Shredder", which I access a lot with a right-click. But, upon buying my new Win 7-64 bit laptop, a number of these do not provide for right-click access. I have un-installed and re-installed, but no luck.:confused: I really wish I could use File Shredder.

Any suggestions, or is this a Win 7 thing?

Thanks.

Most programs will do it automatically, but, if you are familiar with editing the registry, you can get the option like this. (
You’ll need the full path to the application that you want to launch. Find it now an make a note)
Open up regedit.exe through the start menu, and then browse down to the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell

Right-click on the shell key, and then choose New - Key from the menu.
Now give the new key the name that you want to show up on the desktop context menu. For example, Shredder.
Right-click on the new "Shredder" key, and then choose New - Key from the menu.
Name the key command (in lowercase).
Now click on “command” on the left side, and then double-click on the (Default) key in the right side to edit the string value.
Copy/Paste in the full path to the executable that you have noted at the beginning.
You should now have the item in the right click menu.

Most programs will do it automatically, but, if you are familiar with editing the registry, you can get the option like this. (
You’ll need the full path to the application that you want to launch. Find it now an make a note)
Open up regedit.exe through the start menu, and then browse down to the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell

Right-click on the shell key, and then choose New - Key from the menu.
Now give the new key the name that you want to show up on the desktop context menu. For example, Shredder.
Right-click on the new "Shredder" key, and then choose New - Key from the menu.
Name the key command (in lowercase).
Now click on “command” on the left side, and then double-click on the (Default) key in the right side to edit the string value.
Copy/Paste in the full path to the executable that you have noted at the beginning.
You should now have the item in the right click menu.

Hello RAK, any ideas why this wouldn't work?

I have the same issue as Hiram, specifically with FileShredder (fileshredder.org) & Win7. I used to love the right-click 'Shred Files' option (Vista).. I followed the instructions above, and performed a restart after it didn't immediately appear, but have had no luck getting a 'custom' right click option working...

I noticed I have a 'shell' folder outside of 'background' in the 'directory' folder, so I was thinking maybe it needs to be there, and/or both places, but didn't have any luck with that either.

Any ideas?

Hiram, you ever get yours working?

Hope all is well, thanks for your time.

EDIT

I was able to get this working, to an extent. I can launch the program with right click, but not "import/move/copy" files I'm right-clicking to the application, just launch.

I went to 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell', and created a new key called "File Shredder". I then modified 'default' (the right side of the window) to have the value "Shred Files..." (this is what appears in the right click for me), I then followed the rest of the instructions above, and created a new key under 'File Shredder' that is called 'command' all lowercase, then modified the 'default' value to the path of fileshredder.exe. (browse to fileshredder.exe highlight, shift+right-click, copy path)

This gets me the right-click action of launching the fileshredder, but does not "move/copy" the files I'm right clicking to the program, it just simply opens the program.

half-way there. :)

Any ideas would be great!

Last edited:
Hello Rak and Seeloesix:

I haven't had the chance to try Rak's suggestion, but from Seeloesix I gather that you are now able to right click to open the FileShredder program, but not the "secure delete file" option. Correct???

Now, can you techies (I'm not) figure this out??? Yesterday, I was working on a PPt presentation and wanted to insert a picture. So, I clicked Insert Picture, my Picture Gallery opened, I found my picture, right-clicked it to open, and THERE WAS THE FILE SHREDDER OPTION. When I pointed the mouse to it, the "secure delete file", "remember to delete later", and "call FileShredder" options were all available, just as in Vista (and another laptop that I upgraded from Vista do W7).:eek: I then opened a Word document and tried the insert picture procedure, and there was FileShredder. But apparently this is the only time it's available. A right-click on any file/folder does not produce FileShredder.:mad:

I hope you understand, and maybe this serves to get a solution.

Regards.

Definitely odd behavior. I noticed this kind of happening once I was able to add "Shred File..", it would show up only on folders, not individual files of any kind for me... but it just opened the fileshredder program, didn't load files to shred, or anything...

I decided to install a little program I found, its called 'FileMenu Tools', and adds a whole bunch of right-click functionality to Win 7 or Vista. You can check or un-check functions you do not want (has like 40 built in ready-to-go right-click additions and you can build your own with parameters, etc...pretty neat.). One of the 'functions' it comes with is a secure delete tool for right-click on ALL FILES (dod, nsa delete etc...).... It's FREE and adware/virus free. :razz:

So far I'm very pleased, just installed this morning...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

here's from the site:

FileMenu Tools allows you to customise the context menu of Windows Explorer, it lets you:

Add some built-in utilities that perform operations on files and folders.
Add customised commands which run external applications, copy/move to a specific folder or delete specific file types.
Configure the "Send to..." submenu.
Enable/disable commands which are added by other applications to the context menu.
FileMenu Tools is freeware.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista/7.

I have noticed that while the right click selection for File Shredder works as expected using Q-Dir (my file manager of choice) it does not appear in any windows explorer right click menus. There appears to be some mechanism embedded in the code for windows explorer that inhibits programs for reasons known only to MS. It would be nice if MS would offer an explanation. In the meantime I will continue using Q-Dir as it works as intended and does not impose random and arbitrary restrictions. For those having this problem, Q-Dir is freeware and very configurable.

Back