Windows 7 Cannot delete partition

Commander_Cool

Hello I started out with Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my C:\-drive, then decided to, for evaluational purposes, partition it in two roughly equal-size parts using EASEUS Partition Master 4.0 Home Edition and labeled them Win7_1 (C) and Win7_2 (D) respectively. Win7_1 (C) holding the original Windows installation.

Now my evaluating is done and I sorely need the disk space and thought I'd delete the Win7_1 (D) partition but neither EASEUS nor Windows Disk Management (under Administrative Tools) will allow it.
Why is that?

Also, if I attempt to delete files from that partition I am told I need permission from TrustedInstaller in order to do that. Now, what's the deal with that? Is it my PC or isn't it?
There is only one account on the machine which of course has admin priviledges.

I attach two screenshots of the results of my thwarted attempts at computer management.

I'd be thankful for any help with this!
:cool:

Attachments

• No go..jpg
    No go..jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • No go 2..jpg
    No go 2..jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 880
The partition Win7_D appears to be your system partition, so it holds the boot files. The insert covers the C partition, but I assume you are booting to that.

In order to boot to the Win 7-1 partition, you will have to put the boot files there, assuming they are not already, change the partition to primary (you can't make a logical partition active), and then make it active. A repair install or having the boot files on that partition will then allow it to become the system partition.

You might as well download the bootable version of Partition Wizard, since you will probalby need it.

If the original installation is in the C drive I assume that you are booting with that drive. What did you put in the D drive ? If you installed Win 7 in the D drive it will almost certainly have taken over as the system and boot drive. In which case you may be able to delete the C drive then relable D to C

But try what Saltgrass says. there are several things you can try by fidling with your partitioning tool. You could try formatting the D disk and then it will probably delete.Then you will have to expasnd your C drive to take up the space vacated by the D drive. You may end up finding that the best option is to reformat thedisk and start again

Thanks Saltgrass. Yes, although it escapes me how it's happened, both partitions are involved even when I boot to the installation on the Win7_1 (C) drive. I shall follow your instructions as best I can but please let me reserve the right to ask for more assistance.
http://windows7forums.com/members/saltgrass.html
You say "you will have to put the boot files there" meaning the Win7_1 (C) partition. Knowing how forbidding and generally cumbersome Windblows tries it's utmost to be - will I be able to copy the boot files to a destination of my own choosing? Without written permission from billg?
If such frivolity is tolerated, then soon people will (gasp!) do as they bloody well please - there's no telling where it might end...but I'll give it a go.

(In reply to nehoma)
Yes, like it says in the original post I started out with Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my C:\-drive. And I also assume that's the drive I'm booting from. On the D partition I first installed Professional edition, then Enterprise.
"You may end up finding that the best option is to reformat thedisk and start again" you say. Install all apps and their gazillion settings all over?
Man, I hope it don't come to that...

You say "you will have to put the boot files there" meaning the Win7_1 (C) partition. Knowing how forbidding and generally cumbersome Windblows tries it's utmost to be - will I be able to copy the boot files to a destination of my own choosing? Without written permission from billg?

First see if you have a bootmgr file in the C:\ partition. It is a hidden system file, so you will have to set the folder view to see it.

If not, open an administrative command window and from within Win 7 on C: type the following and hit enter after:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

Wait for a response. This will put the boot files on the C: drive. Now all you need to do is use Partition Wizard to convert the logical partition to primary, then make it active. There will not be a dual boot option, but if you still want it, setting it up is easy.

The system should now boot to the Win 7_1 Partition and will show as system.

This is why I always use a separate Hard drive for such experimentation
Was this a dual boot configuaration if so got to MSCONFIG and delete the drive you do not want to boot to under the boot tab, you then maybe able to delete the files on the drive

Last edited:
Alright Saltgrass, Super Sarge and little old nehoma thank you for the input. I think, as this has been a hectic sunday, busy busy busy, I will give it a rest 'til tomorrow night.
Thanks all ;)

This is why I always use a separate Hard drive for such experimentation
Was this a dual boot configuaration if so got to MSCONFIG and delete the drive you do not want to boot to under the boot tab, you then maybe able to delete the files on the drive
Yes, and how wise of you to experiment on a separate drive. I botched something along the way, trying to recover that second partition and am now in the process or reinstalling Windows.

I write this on my trusty old Pavillion.

Ah well, at least the ASUS will be running smoothly (for a while) what with the fresh install.

I have been collecting a lot of info on the sites which really help you in Link Removed - Invalid URL, you can try it there i am sure you will find a way out!
or else send me a PM i am sure i can help you out in this

Back
Top Bottom