Windows 7 Cannot format my harddrive..I need partions...help

Kaschiro

I have 2 format programs recommended by GEEK, easus and mini tool partition...they will not allow me to do partition...The disk layout is C: system and files D: hp recovery data E:hp files...When I start I can do resize and get an allocated file, then on the allocated file I click create and then I get message this is not a primary, and I cannot find a way to change it....and if I use the other program(mini) it says there is no boot files....

My question is what do I do now..........does hp have a lock on the hard drive so that I cannot get in to make changes...and if so how do I unlock it...

Other places say make a disk of the d: drive and get rid of D: and I guess the same for E:

the pc is only 1 week old....do I take back to Best Buy and have their techs do it...there is a charge...formatting is normally a no brainer ...

Do you guys have any Ideas what I can do?

I need partitions
Kas

Hello Kaschiro,

What is it exactly that you are trying or wanting to do?
If I'm not mistaken, you should not try to remove the "E:/" partition as it most likely contains the system boot files, so by removing or deleting that drive, will make the PC unbootable.
Do you want extra partitions or do you want to re-format the entire disk?

Don

I'm also moving this to Windows 7 Hardware

Last edited:
As Don says, knowing what you are working with and what you want to end up will might help. A picture of your Disk Management window using the snipping tool and attaching using the paperclip would be good.

But Windows will allow 4 primary partitions on a Hard drive, if the last one takes up the remaining space. If there is still space left over, Windows will create an extended partition and put the logical partition inside it. Sticking with what Disk Management allows is safest, but your choice.

I've been through this with my HP laptop. If you have a win7 install disc:
1- boot from Win7 disc
2- delete ALL partitions on hard drive
3-install Win7 on the Full unpartitioned space
4- you've just successfully taken back control of your machine. Win7 will install on "C" and create a tiny partition (100MB or so) at the back of your HDD for backup or whatever.
5- All the original partitions that you deleted are totally unecessary. Just OEM crap.
6- Congrats! you're done...Enjoy your Win7 machine..........

Last edited:
I had a brain freeze I did not mean to use format!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really meant to type PARTITION!!!

Let go back to the E: you are saying that E has the system boot, and you are right we do not want to delete that one!! Being a pc off the self which is a HP g7-1220 dx notebook I do not have a software for it...Should I burn the D (recovery) and E (hp_tools)??

I do not have a W7 install disk.....I have installed all my working programs and for right now I will work with what I have, do the shrink thing and make them my storage files and just wait until I get used to W7.

Kas

Best advice: Don't do anything drastic till you get yourself a Win7 disc (preferably Win7 Ultimate)...Backing up data is always a good idea..........

Last edited:
I've been through this with my HP laptop. If you have a win7 install disc:
1- boot from Win7 disc
2- delete ALL partitions on hard drive
3-install Win7 on the Full unpartitioned space
4- you've just successfully taken back control of your machine. Win7 will install on "C" and create a tiny partition (100MB or so) at the back of your HDD for backup or whatever.
5- All the original partitions that you deleted are totally unecessary. Just OEM crap.
6- Congrats! you're done...Enjoy your Win7 machine..........
Sounds like this might be a little premature.

Last edited:
Sounds like some bad advice to me.......
Feedback is always a good thing. Can you post the supporting technical reference (or a link) that will substantiate your conclusion? I know you wouldn't make such an assertion without a valid reason.......and I'm always eager to learn something new as long as it's backed up by research from a credible source.

Last edited:
Kaschiro said:
I had a brain freeze I did not mean to use format!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really meant to type PARTITION!!!
Your comment, "easus and mini tool partition...they will not allow me to do partition" made it pretty clear to me what you meant. And you can still do that, but you do need to have a full backup first.
E has the system boot
There are no system files needed to boot your system on any drive or partition (hidden or otherwise) other than what is on the boot drive - in your case, C drive. So if you remove the hidden recovery partition, your computer will still boot. However, you will not be able to recover, or return your computer to its out-of-the-box state.

Should I burn the D (recovery) and E (hp_tools)??
You should use Windows 7 Backup or some 3rd party program to make backup disks in the event your hard drive fails, your computer is stolen, burned, flooded, or otherwise lost.

Oh, BTW, did you look at HP Tools to see if it will create the necessary disks for you?

Sounds like some bad advice to me.......Be careful what you listen to. A cute Avitar does not mean anything...
Yet that comment suggests to be wary of thoses with cute avatars, or that readers are so naive they will believe anybody with a cute avatar. :( I think interjecting personal feelings, in particular without any constructive advice, is bad advice. But that's just my personal opinion. I obviously don't speak for the site or staff.

That said, based on the OPs opening post and request, I don't think ELiTEFX's advice was bad advice at all. He clearly starts with "if you have a W7 install disk" and it does lay out the process, answering the OPs question. If any criticism, it does not address the hardware specific drivers that would not be included in a "Microsoft" produced Windows installation disk. The advice "might" have been premature, if the OP's intent was not clear.

Back