Windows Vista Cannot install.. Constantly restarts

db26

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on one of my computers but it will not boot from the install disk. I start the computer with the disk in the drive, get a message saying "Press any key to boot from CD" but after I do, the computer just restarts.

I have tested this disk on other computers, and it worked. Also, I tried redownloading and reburning the iso and still the same issue. This is a fairly new PC, with a Centrino Duo 1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7600 Go. Model is Asus A8Jm.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd also be open to installing through the hard drive somehow, but upgrading from Vista is not an option. I currently run Ubuntu on all my computers, and do not intend to purchase Vista. I have numerous XP liscenses, so I could install that first if necessary, but I don't believe that upgrade from XP is possible.

Thanks.

Your DVD drive (or a RAM stick) might be going south.

I guess it's a possibility, but after 7 didn't install, I reinstalled Ubuntu on this computer again, with no problems at all. I'm running it right now with no issues.

EDIT: I ran a RAM test and no errors found, so that's definitely not the issue. I'll see what I can do about getting an external DVD drive...

Last edited:
Bringing this topic back from the dead. I still can't get it to work.

I ordered a new flash drive, and put all the 7 files on the flash drive, made it bootable, etc. And I get exactly the same results. it looks like the installation starts to work, but then immediately crashes and the computer restarts. It will just do this over and over again until I take out the flash drive.

Also, I have tested both the DVD and the flash drive in other computers and they both work fine in all my other computers.

I have tested loading Ubuntu on the computer and it can install that from disk perfectly. JUST Windows 7 does not work on this computer.

Any ideas?

Some people, including myself, have had installation problems do to a specific RAM module. You can try minimum RAM requirements while installing to rule out any bad module. IF you get the same result then try another stick. repost with results.

Back