Windows 7 Cannot Install Java Developer's Kit

Pooua

My computer is installed with a legal copy of MS Windows 7, SP 1. My hardware is an AMD Phenom II 3.30 GHz with 8 GB RAM and I am installing to a 10 GB partition. I am currently attempting to install from the Administrator account, though I have also made the attempt from a user account.

I have the file jdk-6u24-windows-x64.exe that I activate. This gives me the Windows prompt "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" When I select "Yes," the screen immediately goes back to viewing the folder and nothing else happens.

I just now used Revo to uninstall everything remotely related to Java from my list of installed software. This has not had any affect on my Java installation efforts, though I did get a notice that I would no longer receive a prompt for automatic updates to Java (those never worked, anyway).

I built this computer at the beginning of this year, but I have never been able to install a Java compiler to it. I need this to work because I am struggling to pass Java classes that are required for me to graduate with an AS degree in Computer Science.

Any suggestions or questions?

That is the UAC prompt. Go into Control panel, - user Accounts. Select "Change user account settings", and turn the UAC down to the bottom (Never notify). Then restart.

That is the UAC prompt. Go into Control panel, - user Accounts. Select "Change user account settings", and turn the UAC down to the bottom (Never notify). Then restart.

That gets rid of the UAC message. It is replaced with a regular Windows prompt, "Do you want to run this program." The end result is the same; nothing happens.

And, presumably, you answer yes to that? You could also try a right clcik of the .exe, and "Run as Administrator"
Fwiw, I have it installed on Ultimate 64Bit, without problems.

Yes, I clicked on "Run."

I just now tried "Run as Administrator," but nothing happened. I went into Administrator mode and tried running, again, but nothing happened. I ran the Troubleshooting mode, and told it that the program worked in Windows server 2008, but that did not help.

Check Windows Firewall that Java* is being Allowed, checked box on the list. (Just a stab in the dark, BTW)

Drew

My computer is installed with a legal copy of MS Windows 7, SP 1. My hardware is an AMD Phenom II 3.30 GHz with 8 GB RAM and I am installing to a 10 GB partition.
Just curious about the last bit there.

Check Windows Firewall that Java* is being Allowed, checked box on the list. (Just a stab in the dark, BTW)

Drew

It is a good guess. I had meant to try running install w/ MS Security Essentials turned off, but I hadn't done it, yet.

I went into Safe Mode under the Administrator account and turned off Windows Firewall. I still cannot launch the application.

I don't know how to disable MS Security Essentials.

Just curious about the last bit there.

Curious? Why? I have 7 TB internal on my computer, and another 11 TB external. I have a 10 GB partition set aside for programming software, particularly for my programming classes.

Correct, Pooua. The reserved partition is not the problem. I have something similar for Java, as I widhed to keep it isolated from the main OS.
But, back to the problem, I can only suggest a new download (I took mine originally from Oracle) and try again. beyond that, I see no reason for your failure.
To disable MSE. 1.Untick it from the startup tab in Msconfig or 2. Open MSE Settings, and turn off real time protection.

I downloaded jdk-7-windows-x64.exe from Oracle's website. It still won't install, even when I turn off security alerts while in the Administrator account. When I double-click or press enter on the file name, I am prompted whether I want to run or not. When I select, "Run," the screen immediately goes back to what it was before I clicked on the file name.

Sorry, friend. I am totally out of ideas! If it goes into a black screen, on ticking the .exe, then I am totally baffled. And I just noticed, in your first post " but I have never been able to install a Java compiler to it". This points to a hardware issue, which I certainly cannot fathom.

I went to an online help forum and paid $50 for someone to rop into my system to solve the problem. He couldn't get the 64-bit version to install, either. His recommendation was either to install the 32-bit version or re-install Windows. 32-bit is sufficient for my homework, but I'm disappointed that I could not get the 64-bit version installed. I'm not inclined to undo months of work on my system on the whim that maybe re-installing Windows would fix the problem. More likely, I would spend weeks doing it, only to find out it had no effect. So, I'm out $50, but at least I'm able to compile Java programs. He hung around to help me get everything set up and working, which is helpful, because I'm not used to tinkering with system variables in the 32-bit world. Also, I didn't like where he stuck the files, so I uninstalled what he did and re-did it the way I want it.

I hate computers. They are the bane of my existence. All day long, every time I try to do something, I get some nag window popping up, telling me that I can't do it, and then I have to spend a few minutes changing things so I can. It's a pain! It took me 2 hours to get my PATH command set correctly, and I still don't know for certain the reason my system wouldn't let me edit the path the first dozen times I tried.

Is there a chance that unlocking the cores on my CPU might have done something so that Windows would not cooperate? My system is supposed to be dual-core, but I unlocked it so I could activate additional cores. It turned out that my system isn't stable on more than two cores, but my CPU is still unlocked. Maybe it did something to HAL?

certainly worth a try. I don't know if it would achieve the same thing - I don't mess with my CPU - but you could try going into the bios screen and setting everything back to the default?? P.S. (Or "lock" the CPU again?)

Back
Top Bottom