Windows 7 Cannot open exe files anymore

numloxx

Hi all,

I'm totally lost, been trying a few things, but no luck. Windows 7 on my laptop isn't working right.

When I run an exe, it says file not found.
I've run spybot, avg, Virus Removal Tool, and a few others, its found some objects, and removed, but still not working right.

My sound works, but the speaker icon says it's not working.

Before this started, the bottom left of my desktop said the message that this copy could not be legit, but I subscribed to Technet in October, and downloaded the legit W7 Ultimate with legit key.

If I press Start + Break, to bring up System into, under Windows Activation Status and Product ID is Not Available. Once there, if I click Device Mgr, remote settings anything... it comes up with same error. File not found. I checked the windows folder, and those files are there. Their file sizes seem to match the ones on my other w7 machine.

Any ideas? I'm nearly ready to reinstall over the top, unless I can just reinstall the broken files with my w7 disc?

Cheers,

Carsten

Hi all,

I'm totally lost, been trying a few things, but no luck. Windows 7 on my laptop isn't working right.

When I run an exe, it says file not found.
I've run spybot, avg, Virus Removal Tool, and a few others, its found some objects, and removed, but still not working right.

My sound works, but the speaker icon says it's not working.

Before this started, the bottom left of my desktop said the message that this copy could not be legit, but I subscribed to Technet in October, and downloaded the legit W7 Ultimate with legit key.

If I press Start + Break, to bring up System into, under Windows Activation Status and Product ID is Not Available. Once there, if I click Device Mgr, remote settings anything... it comes up with same error. File not found. I checked the windows folder, and those files are there. Their file sizes seem to match the ones on my other w7 machine.

Any ideas? I'm nearly ready to reinstall over the top, unless I can just reinstall the broken files with my w7 disc?

Cheers,

Carsten

Have you tried reactivating windows 7 again? Sounds like you reached the end of the trial period without activating windows. If that doesn't work then I would back all your files then do a clean install with the legal copy you got from technet and since you have 10 keys available I would request another one before you start the clean install. I don't have a clue why your Windows 7 is acting up, but with the problems you are having can open be fixed with a clean install. I would even delete and recreate the partition in case you had some weird computer virus.

Was the install an upgarde or a "clean" insatll.

An upgrade leaves useless files on you system ansd can cause sconflits.

Tried that, in fact I've tried several anti-virus and malware packages.

The only I can run any of them is in safe mode.

Doing another full scan as we speak. If that doesn't work, I will resort to the W7 disc.

Is there a way of installing over the top of windows 7, so that I don't need to reinstall all my software? LIke a repair function? How do you access it?

Last edited:
I'll have to upload it in a zip files since you can't open Notepad

Unzip it to the desktop and double-click on it to merge it into the registry.

Then reboot your computer

I'll have to upload it in a zip files since you can't open Notepad

Unzip it to the desktop and double-click on it to merge it into the registry.

Then reboot your computer

Could not run it in normal mode, so booted into safe mode.

"Cannot import.... The specified file is not a registry script"

It says try importing from within regedit, I tried that, and got the same error.

PS. I can run notepad, calc, games etc, but not the important files.

Windows 7 is different than other operating systems when it comes to the registry, it;s very picky,. The registry file has to be saved kin ANSI format,. which you can't do because you can't open Notepad.

I can try sending another file saved in Notepad as an ANSI file.

Private msg

REGhakr
I can only enter 3 private messages per hour but here is the info you were looking for
Link Removed due to 404 Error

There's no reason that should not have worked.'

The message you got indicted binary data,. There was no binary data in that file

Let;s give it one more try...........

Back