Windows 7 Cannot open exe files anymore

There's no reason that should not have worked.'

The message you got indicted binary data,. There was no binary data in that file

Let;s give it one more try...........

Still gives the same message. Rebooted back into normal mode and still doesn't let me run exe files.
Notepad works, calc, windows explorer works, but stuff like regedit, device manager, doesn't run.

Then there;s something else going on,. that script can't just allow certain apps to run, it;s all or nothing,

.''Have you used gpedit,.msc to make any changes to your system''have you installed any tweaking software,.

Cab you now do a system restore back to before this all occurred?

Did you place any policies or restrictions on your computer?

Have you run a complete virus Scan?

What is the exact error message you get when trying to run regedit?

Last edited:
Then there;s something else going on,. that script can't just allow certain apps to run, it;s all or nothing,

.''Have you used gpedit,.msc to make any changes to your system''have you installed any tweaking software,.

Cab you now do a system restore back to before this all occurred?

Did you place any policies or restrictions on your computer?

Have you run a complete virus Scan?

What is the exact error message you get when trying to run regedit?

I have not changed any policies, or installed any tweaking software.
I've tried a system restore from safe mode (Its the only way I could make it run), and that did not fix it.

I've used several anti-virus and anti-malware packages to scan my entire computer.

The exact error message I get when I run any programs including regedit, systempropertiesadvance.exe or anything else related to the system, says "Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I tried a windows upgrade, in safe mode, it failed. In normal mode setup.exe cannot run. Same error message.

I still believe there is a virus, that's stopping programs from running. I'm slowly getting sick of this :(

I think it's a virus too. One pg the first signs is the problem with the .exe files.

If its a root-kit,. it's going to be very tough to remove.

Go to Start > Run,. and typer msconfig,. and uncheck everything except for your your-virus software,.'
Look in the Startup folder yo see if anything is in there,.

Look over the root of the C: drive an look for anything suspicious, such as a batch file.

Hi all,

I've bitten the bullet and reformatted and reinstalling as we speak.

Thanks again for the help. Wished I could have fixed yet, but no...

Carsten, Perth, Australia

Back