Windows 7 Cant access a drive due to "deny all" permissions set by my own

winorwin

Hi all,
I wanted to prevent the guest users on my laptop from accessing D: drive. So from my admin account, I set the permissions on my D: drive to deny all for the Users group, without even looking at all the permissions listed. I thought these permissions would affect only the non-admin group....but I went wrong and now cant access any file in D: even from the admin account.
Have some serious work in that drive, and need some urgent help in getting back my data...any help would be appreciated !

Thanks !

When you say admin account, are you talking about the real admin, or a user/admin. If you have not tried using the Special inactive account, check this site to enable it.

I set the permissions from my user account which is in the admin group itself... I have the "hidden" admin account enabled, and I have tried resetting the permissions from that account too...but failed again. Both the admin accounts (the hidden as well as non-hidden ones) are unable to reset the permissions and they cant access the drive either.
But the guest account CAN access the drive - although it cannot reset the permissions !!

I will have to do some more research, but what exactly are the security settings on the drive right now for your administrative user? And who owns the drive?

Since your setting the permissions does not disallow the guest account, it would follow that the inactive Admin account would be in the same situation..but maybe not...

I am going to be looking into using Diskpart to change permissions, if possible. I don't know if a third party could change permissions, but I would not think so.

In order to test possible solutions, I need to know exactly what you did to set the "deny all" flag. What dialog window were you in?

Was it security permissions or sharing permissions?

try this , i wrote a little batch file. This is safe i promise.. the coding is below

when the box opens type in the path d:/
click enter
type in your actual login name ( the one that cant access the drive)
click enter
type grant

click enter

see if this works please..... text below to show everyone no malicious coding :) and for everyonee to use

Code:
@echo off
title File/Folder Permissions 
echo.
echo.                      MADE BY KAOS
ECHO.
echo File/Folder Permissions Menu
echo.
echo Please Enter Access Level...
echo.
set /p a=Enter Path Of File/Folder:
echo.