Windows Vista Can't boot from Vista 64-bit DVD... but XP 32-bit works fine!

DynamicDonut

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my new computer and was hoping someone would be able to help me!

I've built it all from scratch apart from my old hard disk which has XP Media Centre installed. I've got a Vista 64-bit DVD which I got from my University and am trying to do a clean install of Vista using this. However, when I try to boot from the DVD, it just doesn't even seem to recognise that it's there.

I've tried to boot using my XP Media Centre disc (32-bit) and it works fine. I know there isn't a problem with my Vista disc, as I have used it for a clean install from boot before, but I'm not sure exactly what is different this time around.

I've checked in the BIOS and the CD drive is first in the boot sequence, followed by the hard drive. I followed a friend's suggestion to use the XP disc to format my hard disk so that it is empty, and then try to boot from the Vista disc... but no luck!

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before, or have any ideas on what I could do to get it to boot? Any help at all would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

This is only a hunch but try formatting the disk but using NTFS instead of the usual FAT32 system used by XP. You can use the XP install disk to do this if need be.

Are you sure your rig supports 64bit architecture???????
You need to google the processor & motherboard specifications!!!!

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. I did indeed format the hard disk using NTFS, so I'm not sure that it is the problem unfortunately. Also, my new system is definitely 64-bit: the processor is an Intel Core2 Quad 2.66GHz Yorkfield and motherboard is an Asus P5N-T Deluxe 780i.

I was thinking that maybe the DVD isn't a bootable disc after all... how would I know if it's a bootable disc, and if it isn't, how would I make it bootable?

Thanks!

Glenn

Hmm......Weird one...Is the DVD drive set as a master? As for the disk try and check your vista disk in someone else's machine. Not to boot from but just to make sure that it can at least read it ok. If it can then perhaps your DVD drive needs the firmware updating?

Actually I've just reread your post and you say you got the disk from Uni? If you can, try and find out if the disk is ok...

Hi kemical,

Just to clarify, I can see the files on the Vista disc through Windows Explorer, but it just won't boot. I also tried to boot from it on a friend's computer (also 64 bit), and it didn't work either.

The disc SHOULD be ok... I used it a few years ago to install Vista 64 bit on my old machine, and I'm pretty sure I would've booted from it as it doesn't seem to let you install 64 bit any other way. It just seems weird that I can't boot from it now (but CAN boot from my 32 bit XP disc)!

I also tried to download the Vista 64 bit boot disc from Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files , but it wouldn't boot from that either!!!

Is there anything special that needs to be done to make a disc bootable when copying it? My Vista disc is a copy of the original Uni disc, so maybe I am goofing up somehow when burning these discs. That would explain as well why the boot disc I got from the site above didn't boot either...

Thanks,

Glenn

Is the vista 64 bit DVD an upgrade or an OEM copy?????????.
Can you not do an upgrade using "Windows Anytime Upgrade"???????

Hi Glenn,

when you create a boot disk either from an iso or straight copy nothing else is needed to make it a 'boot' disk. It seems reading through your post/s that the only possible weak link is the disk itself. You've tried it in a different machine and it didn't work. So I guess the next course of action is, if possible, borrow a good copy of vista (one that is known that it can be booted from) and try that. If it works then you know that the disk you have is no good.

Hi kemical,

I have now downloaded a new copy of the Vista 64 bit ISO from my university and I know that this one should definitely work, as a friend has downloaded it before and it worked for him. But after downloading and burning to DVD, suprise suprise, it doesn't boot! Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has a Vista disc (they all have it pre-installed on their machines), so there are no more discs I can try.

Do you think the problem could be with the DVD drive itself? It booted from the 32 bit XP disc (which is a CD) fine but just doesn't seem to work with these Vista DVDs.

Hi Celestra,

I tried that recovery disc before and it wouldn't boot either unfortunately :(

Have you used it yourself, and did it work?

Hi kemical,

I have now downloaded a new copy of the Vista 64 bit ISO from my university and I know that this one should definitely work, as a friend has downloaded it before and it worked for him. But after downloading and burning to DVD, suprise suprise, it doesn't boot! Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has a Vista disc (they all have it pre-installed on their machines), so there are no more discs I can try.

Do you think the problem could be with the DVD drive itself? It booted from the 32 bit XP disc (which is a CD) fine but just doesn't seem to work with these Vista DVDs.

It could be the drive... Which drive is it? I might be able to find some firmware updates but need the make and model.

Have you checked if any other DVD,s can boot????
You could give us the specifications of your machine and in particular your DVD/CD ROM Drive that you can find in Device Manager.

Hi dear i am stuying a lots of reply from the guyz.... are totally prooving u wrong....
but believe me u're absolutely right and nobody knows about vista 64 bit is what....???

I am also an unknown person to know that things completly but now am a little bit frndly to these things,,,,!!!
cuz i was also using windows vista 64bit version which was preinstalled in my U.S purchased Notebook HP pavilion entertainment series Dv series anyways i am giving u a link just download that .iso file and after that burn it onto dvd and run after doing this u'll be able to install Windows Vista 64 bit version into your pc or anything....!!!

But plz don't forget one thing ....Plz reply me that u made it...!!!:)

--------------------------------------------------
Zaki A. Syed
(Business Consultant)
DMAC (Data Management And Cargo)
C-2 Jeevan park, Janakpuri (w)
Delhi
All INDIA Permanent Contact No. +91 9321624565

Back
Top Bottom