Windows 7 Can't change icon sort order

Beze

I just installed Windows 7. I can't seem to manually change the order of icons in my folders. I am bound by using the sort by name/size/date etc. How do I just change the order by drag and dropping the items?

I just installed Windows 7. I can't seem to manually change the order of icons in my folders. I am bound by using the sort by name/size/date etc. How do I just change the order by drag and dropping the items?

You flip through the "Change your view" option until you get to the "name date and size" listing style.. then when you sort by one of the columns (ascending or descending) the icons are also sorted in that order.

You flip through the "Change your view" option until you get to the "name date and size" listing style.. then when you sort by one of the columns (ascending or descending) the icons are also sorted in that order.

I have included an image.

When I try to drag and drop the folder to the spot marked in red, I release the left mouse button and the folder goes back to its old position instead of the new one that I want.

k3avdj.jpg

It's due to the fact your icon spacing is a certain grid beteen each icon.

You would need an empty space to drag the folder/icon/shortcut to another location.

You can change icon spacing if you prefer.

I have included an image.

When I try to drag and drop the folder to the spot marked in red, I release the left mouse button and the folder goes back to its old position instead of the new one that I want.

I don't think you can do that. It seems to me that Windows Explorer only supports sorting ... buy name, size etc.. up and down... but I haven't noticed any random way to lock the icons. To get to those options click through the "change your view" as indicated by the arrow until you get to the list.. then, if you sort.. say by date.... and flip to the icons, they will display by date.

Have anyone found a solution to this? I would like to manually drag and sort my icons. This is really bugging me having to use their sorting

Tblount is correct. For the moment, there is no way to do what you are requesting. It has been recorded a huge number of times to Microsoft as a bug and/or suggestion and hopefully we will see a service pack or update to sort the problem out.

Tblount is correct. For the moment, there is no way to do what you are requesting. It has been recorded a huge number of times to Microsoft as a bug and/or suggestion and hopefully we will see a service pack or update to sort the problem out.

Do me a favor.. from now on when you say "Tblount is correct" do it this way: :p

"Tblount is correct"

I was merely ackowledging your uncertainty as fact "I don't think you can do that" - I know you can't do it!

Back