Windows 7 Can't Connect to Internet within Programs

joelag

I don't know if this is a cablemodem problem, or an HP Pavilion problem, or a Windows 7 problem. When I try to register something within a program (say, Quicken) or connect to my bank, or register my installed Office suite, or even update my virus definitions, there is always a communications error, as if the programs can't tell that I am connected to the internet through a wired cablemodem connection. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

You might try to manually flush dns entries by typing ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt. I would also suggest that you right click the network icon at the bottom right of your destop screen near your clock and speaker icon in the system tray and run the "Trouble shoot problems" option and see if that produces any results. The problem could run deeper and it's concerning that you can't update your virus definitions, does Windows Update seem to run ok?
You may need to check for any extraneous entries in your hosts file ( C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc ) I've attached a screen shot of basically what it should look like. You might also try using this, just for peace of mind Link Removed - Invalid URL download, install, update, reboot into safemode and run it.
Keep us posted

I was very pleased that I got such a quick reply. The problem still remains, even though I tried everything. Malwarebytes found one bit of malware, called "Hijack.DisplayProg," which it removed. In the install of Malwarebytes, I got an error message with the error code 732 (12029.0). I'm wondering if my antivirus program has something to do with this. I deleted the program that came with the Pavilion p6240f, and downloaded AVG basic. But it won't recognize that I am online when I attempt to update file definitions. The other question is whether the cablemodem is at fault; it's an ARRIS from WOW and is only about a year old. Why can I start Explorer and surf the web, but Firefox won't load any pages? Yi! Who should I call to solve this?

First I would be interested in what program was originally installed as an antivirus solution and what method you used to get rid of it. Second I would try uninstalling AVG here is a link to their uninstaller AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Tools download often certain antivirus products like nortons or mcafee can leave remnants of themselves in various places on the computer. All the major manufacturers have such uninstallers and it's a good idea even after it's apparently gone, to run their uninstall product just as a clean up. Download Microsoft Security Essentials and install that after all the other programs are removed and update it and run a full system scan. Link Removed due to 404 Error

Ah, the joys of computing! The initial program I removed was Symantec's Norton Antivirus (using Add/Install). Then I installed AVG basic. Now I removed AVG using the AVG uninstaller and tried to install Microsoft Security Essentials. Unfortunately, it wouldn't install. So now I had no antivirus protection, and the programs STILL didn't think I was connected to the internet.

Not wanting to be without Antivirus, I installed AVAST and that worked, although I wasn't able to register it. But it gives me 30 days of free protection.

Another thing I discovered is that the HP program itself doesn't think I'm connected to the internet. When I told it to set up a new connection, it asked me if I wanted wireless or broadband. I had disabled the wireless since I was attached to the cablemodem with an ethernet cable. But I didn't know the ID or the password from my cablemodem provider. Wonder if they'll tell me and it will work?

The initial program I removed was Symantec's Norton Antivirus

You should always use the Norton Removal Tool for uninstalling Norton Products.

There are still many files and registry entries pertain to Norton still on your computer Download Link Removed - Invalid URL Tool

As for you connection go to Start > Run, and type cmd.Now type ping google.com

My average response time is 45ms. What's yours?

Now type "64.233.169.147" without the quotation marks.

Does the page load any faster?

You can also type ipconfig /all and post the results back here.

Last edited:
In keeping with what Reghakr is saying,
The fact that MSE didn't install is often indicitive of a former AntiVirus product that didn't uninstall properly. Norton / Symantec also makes an uninstaller Link Removed - Invalid URL make sure you read the information carefully, you may need to try that and I think Avast may also have one but I'm not completely sure. Your ISP should be able to provide you with what ever information is actually yours, you pay for their service, you're the customer, I would assume that they would want to keep you as a customer, so give them a call. You didn't answer my earlier question about whether or not you can run Windows Update. The last time I had a similar problem was on XP and I had to rebuild the TCP Stack by using the following command
netsh int ip reset C:\ipreset.txt
and
netsh Winsock reset
and reboot.
You will need to go back into the Network and sharing center and either run the trouble shooter or the New network connection wizard.
Not sure if that will help in your particular issue, but it might be worth a try.

Worser and Worser

I really appreciate all of the time and effort Trouble and others are taking to assist me. I just shut down and upon powering up the computer, I DID get to install a windows update. However, this morning I contacted my ISP provider (WOW), and the lady there had me take the ethernet cable from my router and plug it directly into the ethernet port on my desktop. Not only did it NOT HELP, but now, although the icon says I am connected to the Internet, Explorer won't display any pages (neither will Firefox). The diagnosis says it can contact the website but I don't have permission to view it or something like that. I pinged Google and got a response in 35ms; pinging the IP addresses yielded 43-50ms. I snipped the ipconfig data, but am not sure I know how to attach it here (See below for my attempt). So now I can't download the Norton remover from my desktop, because I don't have access to the internet! Can I download it from this laptop and save it on a flash drive?

Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    57.7 KB · Views: 515
To Trouble,

Couldn't use Command to reset the ip stack because it requires elevation to administrator (I don't seem to have that user???). There must be a way to log in as administrator in Windows 7, but I don't know it.

you need to right click on the shortcut to the command prompt under all programs->accessories and choose run as administrator

Joe, Just took another look at post #8, and everything looks good except
1. I see you haven't disabled IPv6 on either adapter, try that and reboot
2. I see that your ip addressing scheme is using your router for default DNS resolution, try setting it manually to 8.8.8.8 preferred and 8.8.4.4 alternate just to see if it's having a problem forwarding. Reboot again
The reboots shouldn't be necessary, but they won't hurt

I believe you may still have remnants of the virus on your system, and a "clean" install would be in order.

Save all your Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.,etc to a flash drive.

Remember you'll need to re-install all your 3rd party applications,

This will guarantee no virus is left over.

Joe, Just took another look at post #8, and everything looks good except
1. I see you haven't disabled IPv6 on either adapter, try that and reboot
2. I see that your ip addressing scheme is using your router for default DNS resolution, try setting it manually to 8.8.8.8 preferred and 8.8.4.4 alternate just to see if it's having a problem forwarding. Reboot again
The reboots shouldn't be necessary, but they won't hurt

Dear Trouble,

I REALLY appreciate all the time you have given me, so feel free to say UNCLE.
I reset the IP and Winsock, to no avail.
I also disabled the IPv6 on both adapters, also to no avail.
I don't know how to reset the ip addressing scheme.

Reghakr thinks I need to do a 'clean' install because I used add/delete programs to get rid of the trial Norton antivirus the computer came with. Since I can't get on the internet with this desktop, I can't download the Symantec remover onto it (but I'll try to put it on a flash drive).
I'm going to TRY to schedule a call to HP to see if they're any help. Then I guess I'll just have to do a 'clean' install (not sure how to do that. I made 3 recovery disks; do I just put in disk #1 and do what it says?).

What's maddening is: (1) when I go to Network and Sharing and attempt to set up a connection, it tells me I'm already connected, but then won't open an explorer page; (2) One of the explorer troubleshooting messages was : "Windows received an HTTP error message: 403 (Forbidden) from "ie.redirect.hp.com." Then: "Windows can reach the site, but you do not have permission to access the content!"

It could be a problem with malware or a virus, but it sounds a little like IE8 privacy, security or more likely someone has mucked about with the content advisor settings. Try opening IE and go to tools, internet options and on the advanced tab choose restore advance settings and then click the reset button and make sure you select to get rid of everything and see if that makes any difference.

Success at LAST!

It could be a problem with malware or a virus, but it sounds a little like IE8 privacy, security or more likely someone has mucked about with the content advisor settings. Try opening IE and go to tools, internet options and on the advanced tab choose restore advance settings and then click the reset button and make sure you select to get rid of everything and see if that makes any difference.

Success! Here's what happened. I downloaded Norton Remover to my laptop, transfered it to a flash drive and ran it on my desktop. After it ran and restarted my computer, my monitor would't display any images! I tried restarting again. Still nothing. So I switched from the parallel cable to the serial cable from the monitor and it worked! Immediately Explorer came up by itself and told me how to reinstall Norton (which I won't do).

Moreover, my ORIGINAL problem seems to be solved! I was able to update virus definitions, register programs, and even connect to my bank! Activating Office through Word didn't work, but when I tried it through ACCESS, it did!

Thank you both so much for all of your 'trouble.' I am very grateful. This has been a week of nightmares!

Glad to hear you've got it resolved. Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Remnants of old antivirus programs, good to know, I really haven't liked Nortons to much since Peter Norton left and Symantec took over.

Back