Windows 10 "Can't connect to this network" when using wi-fi on Win10

GriffinCloud

Hello,

I just installed Windows 10 (from scratch, not upgrade) and am running into this error all of a sudden. When I first installed Win10 I was able to connect to my wi-fi network without any issues and all of my other devices (android phone, Win7 laptop, WinXP Media Center) are able to connect without issue as well.

I was exploring what everything does to learn the system and clicked to turn the Wi-Fi off in the taskbar area. I then re-enabled the Wi-Fi and all of a sudden I couldn’t see my wireless network any more, even though all of my other devices still could. I also have a dual boot of Linux on the Hard Drive so I rebooted and checked on Linux and yep the wi-fi is working and can connect just fine. So I rebooted back to Win10, suddenly I can see the network again and I go to connect and am now getting the Can’t connect error.

My wireless card is a Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter that is built into the motherboard (Asus Z170 Deluxe). The Wi-Fi network is on a WPA2-Personal security type with AES encryption.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

Enabling/disabling Wi-Fi in the taskbar.
Attempts: 10
Results: Unlike the first time where it lost the network it detected it each time but still get “Can’t connect to this network”

Connecting to a neighbor’s open network.
Attempts: 2
Results: “Can’t connect to this network”

Clicking “Troubleshoot” in Network Status
Results: Said I had not connected to any available wireless networks. On further attempt said I have no preferred wireless networks and a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken

Disconnecting and reconnecting the antenna.

Enabling/disabling the wireless adapter in the Device Manager.

Attempts: 3

Uninstalling the wireless adapter and letting Win10 install it upon a reboot.

Completely uninstalling the wireless adapter and drivers and reinstalling the latest drivers from Asus’ website.

Attempts: 1

Manually connecting to the network using Manage Known Networks.

Forgetting the network settings and trying to reconnect after rediscovering the SSID.

Physically rebooting the router.

Changing the SSID in the router settings.

Results: New SSID detected just fine, “Can’t connect to this network”

Pinging the particular PC with Windows 10 up with the router admin tools since the router detects it.
Results: Full packet loss

Pinging the particular PC with Linux up with the router admin tools.
Results: Everything went through fine.

One site asked me to change the 802.11 channel width in the Advanced settings of the adapter.
Results: There is no option for 802.11 Channel Width in the advanced settings of this particular wireless adapter.

Disabling IPv6 network protocol.

Disabling and re-enabling the wireless connection in Network and Sharing Center.

Using Command Prompt to renew and release ip (ipconfig /renew ipconfig /release).
Results: “No operation can be performed on Wi-Fi while it has its media disconnected. (ditto for all other connections like bluetooth/ethernet, but none of them are being used so...)

At this point I’m left scratching my head, especially since it was working fine on install up to just a few hours ago (about 2 weeks). I would just use the Linux OS for all my internet stuff but the reason I have Windows10 at all is because it is the only Windows version that will detect my new Hard Drive and I am running several programs that need Windows and they need internet connectivity to run (certain Autodesk apps and Steam games).

Any help/ideas?

Wow that's a super helpful little script!

Here's the file (hope it attaches).

Attachments

• network_information.txt
    20.8 KB · Views: 490
This is going to sound super weird, but after running your script the adapter detected about 7 more networks in range. I thought "hmm wonder what happens if I try to connect again", entered password, and BOOM Wi-Fi and internet are working again.

My problem is fixed but now I am more confused than ever heh.

Back
Top Bottom