Windows 7 Can't login as someone else in Windows 7

siberianItGuy

Hi, hoping someone can help me with this issue.

I have Windows 7 installed. I created an account with username 'me' for myself with admin privileges. There are other accounts on the system such as Administrator, Guest, etc.

But now whenever I reboot the winlogon allows me to only login as 'me'. Doesn't give the option to login as someone else.

Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

The following method uses registry editor. It is quite simple, but, if you are not comfortable with it, DO NOT try it.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Start button > search box, type regedit > press Enter > left panel.......
expand (click the pointer in front of) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
expand Software
expand Microsoft
expand Windows NT
expand CurrentVersion
at ProfileList, do you see an entry .Default? ( see screenshot below )
if yes, right click at .Default > click Delete > click Yes to confirm the action.

Image 2.jpg

Restart. Do you see all user accounts on sign in screen now ?

Well you might be on the right track except take a look at my registry.

profileList.png

Your screenshot does not work.

Take a screenshot and save it to your desktop.
Come back to this post, start a reply > at the bottom, click Upload a File > Browse to your desktop and select the screenshot > click Open > click Full Image > click Post Reply.

Your screenshot does not work.

Take a screenshot and save it to your desktop.
Come back to this post, start a reply > at the bottom, click Upload a File > Browse to your desktop and select the screenshot > click Open > click Full Image > click Post Reply.
===========================
Oops sorry, I used the image icon to try and insert the file. Here is it below.

profileList.png

Adding....
You screenshot shows that you only have one (1) account......S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxxxx-1000

I have 2 accounts, both admins, one under name David, one under name Backup Admin
Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Last edited:
To reiterate my last reply.
Apparently, you only have one user account ..... "me" which is an admin acct.
Perhaps, someone has disabled the Administrator account which, by the way, is the "built-in administrator account ". It can be enabled or disabled.
I will not recommend using the Guest account at all. Create a standard user account for your guest.

One more thing to confirm how many user accounts do you have in the system......
Start button > click the pointer next to Shut Down > select Switch Users.
Do you see other user accounts listed ?

Last edited:
To reiterate my last reply.
Apparently, you only have one user account ..... "me" which is an admin acct.
Perhaps, someone has disabled the Administrator account which, by the way, is the "built-in administrator account ". It can be enabled or disabled.
I will not recommend using the Guest account at all. Create a standard user account for your guest.

One more thing to confirm how many user accounts do you have in the system......
Start button > click the pointer next to Shut Down > select Switch Users.
Do you see other user accounts listed ?
OK thanks for the guidance. You helped me get to the root of the issue. When I rebooted I only saw the 'me' account without 'other user'. But when I was going 'Administrative Tools'-->'Local Users and Groups' i was seeing 4 accounts. That's what was confusing me.

It turns out I had the other accounts disabled and forgot about that.

Thanks for the help.

Back