Windows Vista Can't Network Vista Laptop with Win 7 Desktop

luvflt

I have a Win 7 Pro 64 desktop and a Win 7 Home Premium laptop networked ( via workgroup not homegroup) I went to add a Vista laptop to workgroup and it asks for user name and password. Everything is set for no password, all folders, drives etc are set for sharing. At one point I was able to view the desktop drives etc but could not access them as I did not have permission. I went into security tab of drive and edited it to include "everyone" with full access and that seemed to work until I rebooted and now I am back to square one with only being able to see the destop computer under networks but I can't see or access any drives as it keeps asking for user name and password.

I never had issues like this before. I am stumped??

Windows Workgroups authenticate users in three stages...

1) Is there a known user name and password?
2) Is the user name and password here the same as there?
3) Ask for user name and password.

The simple way around this is to create a "common account" ... same name, same password on all machines. That way your login account is used for authorization and you don't get asked for user names and passwords.

FWIW... Peer networking (Workgroups) is not supposed to allow anyone in without a password. The question is where it gets the password from...

Well actually I had the passwords blocked out. I activated them with the same user name and password and got it to work. Not sure why it has to be that way but it is working so who am I to question it.
Thanks much!

Well... Consider a work environment where certain files are shared with accounting, others with sales, others with service... and you don't want them messing with each other's stuff... Then the whole username and password thing, combined with share permissions, makes perfect sense.

For a home user the "Common Account" with file shares set so "everyone" has full access is far more convenient ... ;) unless you don't trust the kids that is...

I am having the same issue and coming off a Mac, this is new to me. I can WIN 7 to WIN 7 in homegroup but the Vista Laptop sees the desktop but cannot get to files and share. What do I need to do. It also comes up with the username and password. How would I create a common account or unblock the passwords.
Thanks
Windows Workgroups authenticate users in three stages...

1) Is there a known user name and password?
2) Is the user name and password here the same as there?
3) Ask for user name and password.

The simple way around this is to create a "common account" ... same name, same password on all machines. That way your login account is used for authorization and you don't get asked for user names and passwords.

FWIW... Peer networking (Workgroups) is not supposed to allow anyone in without a password. The question is where it gets the password from...

Hi yall dont know if youre still having this problem, i just did it and have the solution. On both vista and windows 7 go to Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network and sharing center. Click change advanced sharing settings on the left tab. Turn on sharing, look at each of the options in these menus, you can disable password use, enable media streaming. I have all my music on the laptop and play it from my tower all wireless. So i know this will work for you. Good luck.

Back