Windows 7 Can't obtain IP

Cadman-LT

I just installed Windows 7 beta as a dual boot with Xp Pro. Xp Pro works fine; however, when I try to use Windows 7 I can't get a new IP to connect to the internet. I have turned the modem off for over 1o minutes to get a fresh boot, no dice. I have turned off IV6 or whatever, no dice. I am not sure what else to try. The network cards(yes I have put 2 in now to be sure) work fine as far as windows says, but I can't get an IP. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Cadman-LT

Do you have to set up an internet account? If so, it only let's me pick one where you have to put in a username and password, which I do not have to do. XP let's you choose a connect where you don't need a user or pass. I'm confused.

try

go to command line mode....type... ipconfig /all Write down your ip, dns, and default gateway. Then reboot as windows 7, go into network properties, and manually type in those same settings. 7 is automatically trying to get an ip through dhcp. If your using a modem without dhcp, you'll have to put in yourself. I'm assuming your using a modem, not a router.

Kevin, Thanks, but....

Hey Kevin, I tried that, but still nada, and I tried several times. I don't get it. Any other ideas? Thanx for the help!

What kind of modem or router are you using? This information would be helpful in trying to work out what the problem could potentially be

Hi guys -- I've posted about this stuff -- there are definitely some problems (mostly with WIRED) LAN cards with the majority of currently installed Routers.

Turning off IPV6 sometimes but by no means does the trick. Installing the most up to date drivers aslo doesn't always work either.

The majority of these problems also seem to occur with W7 X-64 bit version (but can also occur when upgrading / installing Vista X-64 as well).

Sorry if I can't offer a solution but DO report the feedback to Microsoft --there's still a few Networking issues to be resolved before W7 goes final.

If you have time (can be a pain) can you try the same computer using the other version of W7 (for example if you can't make the NIC work on W7 X-64 try it on W7 X-32 ON THE SAME COMPUTER IF POSSIBLE.

I know this is a pain in the butt but the better we all BETA test W7 the better the Final will be.

As a get around a bog standard USB==>LAN card works fine costs around 3 - 8 USD / 2 - 5 GBP / EUR.
A PCI express Lan card also works wonders on a wired LAN and a laptop - if your network can handle it the Lan speed can be as much as 1GB compared with 100mb /s . (Note this is your INTERNAL LAN speed not the ISP / Internet connection speed).

Wireless also often works when the internal LAN card doesn't.

Sorry this is not a solution but there is definitely some incompatable hardware out there -- PLEASE DON'T rush out and spend more money on a new router etc. I'm sure these problems will (or have to be) fixed by Microsoft.

To repeat try it out on BOTH versions of W7 and DO use the Send feedback to report problems back to MS.

Cheers
jimbo

I have the same issue....using build 7000. Firefox works but IE8 does not.....Why?? I definately think this is not a router issue, it looks like an IE8 issue that is happening here. I heard that there is a newer build something like 7400 where you can downgrade IE8 and use a previous version...but with build 7000 it is impossible. Does anyone know whether MS will let you upgrade to the newer build if this is the issue going on? I really have liked 7 thus far but this kinda stinks! Is everyone that is having this problem using build 7000? I dont know if others have this same thing going on but, I have noticed that "protected mode" is showing that it is Off, but under the security tab in internet options it shows it as being enabled???

FTP and ping don't work

I'm trying to access my web site. I'm using Win7 RC for 2 weeks now. Both Cuteftp and Classicftp report that they can not resolve the ftp address. Also ping can not find any sites, no report. I have copy- paste the URL into ping and still no joy. I have no problem with either IE or Opera browsers making contact. What am I missing?
Thanks, Cole

Are you using older versions of CuteFTP an Classicftp? they may not be compatible with Windows 7.

Please give the exact error message you receive when executing the program and trying to ping

Can you connect to the Internet alright?

Go to Start > Run, and type cmd. Now type ipconfig /all and see if you have the correct IP, not a local on.

Are you using older versions of CuteFTP an Classicftp? they may not be compatible with Windows 7.
yes, that's why I tried ping
Is there a ftp program that works with win7

Please give the exact error message you receive when executing the program and trying to ping
I can't figure out how to get to the cmd again. Searching 'command' gave me the power shell diagonstic, What the H.. is this? entered ipconfig, Lots of info if I knew what to look for. No log, snip doesn't work, nor does copy so I can't show you. PSD reports that it cant work as scripting is disabled and then runs???

Can you connect to the Internet alright?
Yes, except when I ftp or ping.

Go to Start > Run, and type cmd. Now type ipconfig /all and see if you have the correct IP, not a local on.
Win7 has no run selection after start I think the instructions were to search command prompt then enter command promt which will bring up cmd.exe, I think. I can't find the way back.
what would the correct IP be? or local on? In 30 years I haven't seen these phrases.
Why wouldn't ping work?

What can I do to manage my website? This is all the answer I need!

Thanks, Cole

I'm not positive, but an open source FTP program may work.

I located this one:
WinSCP

command, go to Start Run, and type cmd

What program are you using to ping?

If uyou don't mind could you give me the IP to see if I can ping it or use a traceroute program?

No ftp or ping

I'm not positive, but an open source FTP program may work.

I located this one:
WinSCP
Thanks, I'll try it

command, go to Start Run, and type cmd
When I click the start icon I find no run available. Help is useless.
I searched 'command' and got a commaand prompt link found. Clicked that and cmd page came up. I entered 'ping http://windows7forums.com' and got this reply;
Ping request could not find host http... . Please check the name and try again.

What program are you using to ping?
The cmd prompt c:\user\cole>
Why would ping not work? I see it as Win7 is blocking my puter somehow.

If uyou don't mind could you give me the IP to see if I can ping it or use a traceroute program?
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.2 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:01:29:22:CA:B7
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1

Thanks again, Cole

Right-click on the Start button and choose properties, click on the customize button and go down through the list until you locate the Run command entry and check that box.

Actually the address you provided is a local IP.

You need to select your NIC adapter and copy that information.

no ftp or ping

Right-click on the Start button and choose properties, click on the customize button and go down through the list until you locate the Run command entry and check that box.
Found it. Who knew? RUN is now on the start menu. I was also able to get rid of unused links.

Actually the address you provided is a local IP.

You need to select your NIC adapter and copy that information.

You provided the clue. I had loaded win7 when I lost my C drive and had to reinstall on new drive. So I don't know if Win7 is the problem or my motherboard. My NIC is on the motherboard and it is not to be found. Win7 says there is no problemwith my internet connection which is a problem! I also can't access video through my AGP graphic bus so I do suspect the motherboard unless others are also having similar problems.
I will have someone else manage the website temporarly while I get a new puter. This one I got when XP came out. I was hoping to wait to upgrade for the OEM version of Win7.
Thanks for your guidance. Part of my problem is the hiding of all the diagnostic information in non intuitive areas.

Cole

Back