Cant open almost any apps, File system error (-1073741818)

Hi all.
Earlier I was trying to install the nexus mods manager for skyrim. Upon trying to run the .exe I
got the message:
"ShellExecuteEx failed; code -1073741818" a google found no one else who had had the same problem so I opened avast to scan for a virus, when trying to open avast I got the message: "File system error (-1073741818)"
It turns out i get that message whilst trying to open almost all apps (including command prompt so couldn't run an sfc /scannow)
Does anyone know about this bug/error and have anyway to fix it?

Tia

Last edited:

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Your shell extensions may have been screwed up. You will need to boot into a recovery disc or something like Hiren's boot disc where you can edit the registry. There are three of the exefile keys
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\exefile
In each of these will be a shell\open\command key the default value on these needs to be "%1" %* on all of them

BIGBEARJEDI

Fantastic Member
Premium Supporter
If neemo's registry fixes don't work, you might consider rolling your system back to a point in time prior to your installing the Skyrim skins manager app using Windows System Restore. :)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Yeah @BIGBEARJEDI that would probably be a quicker fix, would need to boot into the recovery mode since no exe will run. That or it's malware blocking exe's from running.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.