Windows 7 Can't open PDF files in browser

vds700

I cant seem to be able to open PDF files in Firefox or IE. Whenever I click a link, it just comes up with a dialog box with a question mark (see attached screenshot).

I tried unticking the box "display PDF in browser" in adobe preferences, but this did not work.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

first, check to see if Acrord32.exe is running in Task Manager. Kill all that you see
Try opening again.

Acrobat Reader doesn't always kill it's processes which causes it to fail to open properly the next time. They have had this problem for years and have yet to fix it.

This could be a different issue though as I have seen something similar on my system recently and had to work around it, but it is not a straight forward thing and I would have to actually see the full site itself. I had to end up opening it from a different link. I believe it is an Acrobat Problem and not an IE/Firefox or Windows problem.

On a side note: AVG is garbage.

thanks for the reply.

I killed the Acrord32.exe process, but this did not help, still getting the box with the "?".

I rebooted and now that process is not appearing in the Task Manager, so I don't know what to do now.

BTW the site im using is my uni's logon access to material for my units.

LOL about AVG, do you think Avast would be better?

Yes, Avast is much better, but still not really the best thing to use for long term.
My personal recommendation is MS Security Essentials. but that's me.

Yes, this is a problem with the universities site i think. The way they form the link, I figure.
The problem I spoke about, was a universities site for looking up papers etc. there was a link to open different formats and I was able to find a different link to the PDF and open it from there.

OK thanks! I might try to find a different link or just download the PDF's in my XP partition (I have XP and 7 dual booted)

I have seen this problem.

Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling? That seemed to work for my environment. ;)

yeah i did try uinstalling and reinstalling, but no luck. I think I'll try installing Foxit reader someone mentioned above and see how i go.

Thanks to eveyone who replied

installed Foxit reader and solved the problem. Thanks to the person who ssuggested this :)

Foxit seems better than Adobe reader also coz it has tabbed windows

Glad that worked out for you vds700...:)

I have to agree with Reghakr, Foxit seems to have the edge on adobe...

i'v just had the problem adobe 9.2 not opening on windows 7

fixed it by right click on adobe then go to file location, then opened plugins and there was double enties, so deleted all double entries ending in - (1) and all works fine now

Thanks for that info Dave, no doubt some future user will find it useful.. :)

Adobe software is full of bugs and security problems. almost every week, there;s a problem that needs fixed.

Go to the System Security seceding and do a search for Adobe within that section.

BTW.......Ta;lk about bloatware and the Uninstaller does a terrible job at removing it from your computer

no probs, only joined to share that info, been doing my head in for 2 days (only had windows 7 for 3 days) lost count of the number of times id removed and installed the thing,
i noticed it stopped loading at DigSig and looked up what it was, job done:D

Adobe software is full of bugs and security problems. almost every week, there;s a problem that needs fixed.

Go to the System Security seceding and do a search for Adobe within that section.

BTW.......Ta;lk about bloatware and the Uninstaller does a terrible job at removing it from your computer

I have to agree. I am also switching the wife to Foxit Reader.

My daughter cannot open pdf files from her ed intstitution, will advise her to to try the same, ? in order to use Foxit, must she use Firefox as her browser?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom