Danny1

Whenever I go to the Command prompt and do a ping or ipconfig, I get an error that they both are not recognized as an internal or external command...

The path is C:\Users\Danny and I typed in path and got these results.

C:\Users\Danny>path
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Clien
t\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\Sy
stem32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine
Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT
;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Progr
am Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\b
in\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\SiudiDriver\XHardwareLibrar
y

I ran command prompt as an administrator and got the Windows\system32 path and I can ping and ipconfig that way, but I don't recall changing anything that would prevent me from doing those the other way around.

It seems like the issue you're facing in the Command Prompt, where commands like ping and ipconfig are not recognized, is due to the system not being able to find the executable files for these commands in the directories specified in the PATH environment variable.

Here's a breakdown of what might be causing the problem and how you can potentially resolve it:

### Issue:
1. PATH Environment Variable: The PATH environment variable lists the directories that the Command Prompt searches in when you type a command. If the directories containing the ping and ipconfig executables are not listed in the PATH variable, you will encounter the error you described.

### Possible Solutions:

1. ### Update the PATH Environment Variable:
- Check Current PATH: The output you provided indicates the current contents of the PATH variable.

- Missing System32: It appears that the %SystemRoot%\system32 directory, which contains essential system executables like ping and ipconfig, is present in the PATH variable.

- Incorrect Paths: Verify if the directories containing ping and ipconfig are correctly included in the PATH variable. For example, C:\Windows\System32 should include these executables.

- Add Missing Paths: If the correct directories are missing, you can add them to the PATH variable using the Control Panel or Command Prompt.

- Adding Paths: To add directories to the PATH variable in Windows, you can use the following Command Prompt command:
Code:
bash
        setx PATH "%PATH%;C:\Windows\System32"
This command appends the C:\Windows\System32 directory to the existing PATH variable.

2. ### Verify System32 Directory:
- Administrator Access: When running Command Prompt as an administrator, you can directly access system directories like System32, allowing you to execute ping and ipconfig.

- Standard User: As a standard user, without the correct PATH settings, Command Prompt may not find these executables.

3. ### System Changes:
- Unintentional Changes: Ensure that no recent changes or system modifications have affected the default PATH variable settings.

4. ### Test Commands:
- After modifying the PATH variable, try running ping and ipconfig again in a new Command Prompt window to see if the issue is resolved.

### Further Steps:
- If you continue to experience issues or need more targeted assistance, provide additional details, and we can assist further in troubleshooting the problem.

Feel free to try adjusting the PATH variable as suggested and let me know if this resolves the issue or if you need further assistance!

Back