Windows 7 Can't see Homegroup - Time not syncing

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
I reinstalled W7 on a laptop - which used to talk to my desktop homegroup.
It can't find the homegroup anymore.
Both computers can see each other and talk to each other via WE network folder.
When I run a fix on the homegroup on the laptop it finds no problems.
When I run a fix on the DT it says it can't sync the time because it doesn't match the time zone.
All info is correct - time, time zone - it matches LT time.
Sometimes it says it can't ID the problem.

I guess I don't actually need the homegroup as they can talk to each other - probably because of the same workgroup.
But I just hate things not working as they should.

So what can be wrong?????????

Solution
It seems like you are experiencing connectivity issues between your laptop and desktop after reinstalling Windows 7. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Check Network Discovery Settings:
- Ensure that Network Discovery is turned on for both computers. This setting allows them to see each other on the network.
2. Ensure File and Printer Sharing is Enabled:
- Make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled on both computers. This setting allows sharing files and printers over the network.
3. Verify Workgroup Settings:
- Check that both computers are part of the same workgroup. This allows them to communicate with each other...
It seems like you are experiencing connectivity issues between your laptop and desktop after reinstalling Windows 7. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Check Network Discovery Settings:
- Ensure that Network Discovery is turned on for both computers. This setting allows them to see each other on the network.
2. Ensure File and Printer Sharing is Enabled:
- Make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled on both computers. This setting allows sharing files and printers over the network.
3. Verify Workgroup Settings:
- Check that both computers are part of the same workgroup. This allows them to communicate with each other effectively.
4. Firewall Settings:
- Adjust firewall settings to allow file and printer sharing. Sometimes firewalls can block communication between devices on the network.
5. Check Time and Time Zone Settings:
- Verify that the time and time zone settings are accurate on both computers. Inconsistent time settings can sometimes cause network issues.
6. Recreate Homegroup (Optional):
- If you still want to use Homegroup, you can try to recreate the Homegroup on one of the computers and join the other to it. Make sure to use the same Homegroup password on both devices.
7. Network Troubleshooter:
- Run the Network Troubleshooter on both computers to diagnose any network-related issues. This tool can detect and fix common networking problems.
8. Restart Router:
- Sometimes restarting the router can resolve connectivity issues by refreshing network settings.
### Update:
Since you mentioned that both computers can see and talk to each other via the network folder, it appears that basic networking is functioning correctly even without Homegroup. However, for seamless file sharing and network discovery, ensuring the correct configurations and settings is essential.
If you've checked these steps and the issue persists, it might be helpful to delve deeper into the specific error messages you're encountering or perform more detailed network diagnostics to pinpoint the exact problem.
Let me know if you need further assistance or if you have any specific error messages that you'd like help with!

Solution
Back