Windows 7 Can't set up multiple monitors or connect to an external display

alexc

My windows7 ultimate laptop currently doesn't present me with an option to access dual monitors nor will it connect to my external monitor. I try win + p and nothing happens.

The monitor works, and was tested successfully this morning. Yes, is it plugged in and connected to my laptop. Yes, the monitor is turned on.

My adapter type is 'Standard vga graphics adapter', from Microsoft, and it's dated 6/21/2006.

What process do I need to go through to make my latop (dell precision m6400) recognize my external monitor, while my laptop is open, as well as being able to access dual monitors?

Thanks.
device manager.pngscreen resolution.png

alexc:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
My first suggestion would be Link Removed - Invalid URL and choose your current OS (Win7 32 or 64 bit) and catch up all your laptop drivers to the latest Dell has to offer for your Installed OS and Hardware. Focus on Chipset, Audio and Video but don't neglect any BIOS updates that might be available and since the use of a second external monitor on a laptop can often involve the use of keyboard combinations using the Fn key and another key, usually in the top row with a monitor icon on it (might be blue or purple) you should also consider acquiring any additional drivers that may be specific for your keyboard as well as pointing devices.
Good Luck
Randy

Thanks Trouble, I'm in business now. I installed a chunk of those drivers from the website that you recommended. After I installed those Dell drivers, I again attempted to load an NVIDIA driver (that didn't help me on three other attempts!) and after my system rebooted, I was in business.

This is my first post. I 'liked' your post. Is there any other thing in this forum that is customary to click on to show appreciation to someone who answers one's question/post?

Thanks for your time.

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
This is my first post. I 'liked' your post. Is there any other thing in this forum that is customary to click on to show appreciation to someone who answers one's question/post?
No, currently only the "Like" feature is in place and is satisfactory as far as I'm concerned. Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Hello,

Now most laptops have the option to connect to an external monitor. The laptop may automatically switch to the new external display on connecting the monitor to the 15-pin video connector. Please visit the following web link for detailed information:

Page Not Found | Techyv.comope this helps.

Cheers,
Ganga

Back