Windows 7 Cant shutdown also long start up when booting + along with other problems

liqt

- Running windows 7 home premium
- latest windows 7 updates

This problem has persisted for a week or two now, not sure why but my laptop started to have many problems.

some extra information;

- when my wireless signal for the wireless keyboard goes out (randomly), the usb port (usb extension) stops working for that port, however if you take it out and replug, still doesn't work.
only way to "fix" this is by force restarting by turning it off with the power button (i can't even shutdown because it hangs there anyways).

anyways the main problem really is th shutdown/restarts.

this has never happened to be before, had my new laptop for about 4 months, and within 1-2 weeks from now, this problem started to happen.

i'm not sure what it could be, whether its new windows update, or new applications i installed (well, i don't really install many new apps, and i have roughly the same things i did when i first got my laptop).

its literally impossible to shutdown it successfuly (well i never decide to wait ages, but if the laptop doesn't shut down in a few mins, something has to be wrong) - same applies to the restart, both doesn't work unless i force it with the power button.

however, if i boot up the laptop (not logging in), i am able to shut it down as i assume no services are started up yet.

according to my event log from performance view, there are alot of warnings, some crticals and such - then again this has only happened recently, so this is pretty frustrating to me.

heres an example below;

Ny1YV.png

Windows has shutdown:
Shutdown Duration : 19478ms
IsDegradation : false
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2011‎-‎07‎-‎05T16:35:07.937364300Z

this is just 1 of them, and theres alot.

some of the applications i use are trivial (like trillian, skype, steam, etc) and i've had all these programs before and it was fine, able to shut down and so on.

again, this has only happened recently.

i've did a factory reset (hoping it would fix the problem) but nothing as happened interms of fixing so.. i'm pretty much out of idea's, have done everything according to my searches by disabling various things, nothing good so far yet.

any help is appreciated and willing to follow every step in order to fix this problem.

thanks
- liqt

- Running windows 7 home premium
- latest windows 7 updates

This problem has persisted for a week or two now, not sure why but my laptop started to have many problems.

some extra information;

I don't know if this will help since I never had this problem but it just might help.

- when my wireless signal for the wireless keyboard goes out (randomly), the usb port (usb extension) stops working for that port, however if you take it out and replug, still doesn't work.
only way to "fix" this is by force restarting by turning it off with the power button (i can't even shutdown because it hangs there anyways).

anyways the main problem really is th shutdown/restarts.

this has never happened to be before, had my new laptop for about 4 months, and within 1-2 weeks from now, this problem started to happen.

i'm not sure what it could be, whether its new windows update, or new applications i installed (well, i don't really install many new apps, and i have roughly the same things i did when i first got my laptop).

its literally impossible to shutdown it successfuly (well i never decide to wait ages, but if the laptop doesn't shut down in a few mins, something has to be wrong) - same applies to the restart, both doesn't work unless i force it with the power button.

however, if i boot up the laptop (not logging in), i am able to shut it down as i assume no services are started up yet.

according to my event log from performance view, there are alot of warnings, some crticals and such - then again this has only happened recently, so this is pretty frustrating to me.

heres an example below;

Ny1YV.png

this is just 1 of them, and theres alot.

some of the applications i use are trivial (like trillian, skype, steam, etc) and i've had all these programs before and it was fine, able to shut down and so on.

again, this has only happened recently.

i've did a factory reset (hoping it would fix the problem) but nothing as happened interms of fixing so.. i'm pretty much out of idea's, have done everything according to my searches by disabling various things, nothing good so far yet.

any help is appreciated and willing to follow every step in order to fix this problem.

thanks
- liqt

Welcome to the Forum,

I don't know if this will help but might be worth trying.

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

Last edited:
Your welcome liqt,

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. Don't give up yet, I am sure someone will be able to help.

hmm, tried booting in safe mode - logged in and tried to shut down

hangs up again.. (though i only waited few mins but it shouldn't take to shut down anyways im sure of that)

bleh

Can you disconnect all your external peripherals and do the test again please.

Hello there,

Most of the times out-dated drivers can causes such behavior. Make sure you update all the drivers to current version such as Display, sound, network etc. Let me know if you're using nVida. Because it's reported that one of the component of nVidia can cause the machine not to shutdown. Out-dated BIOS can cause such issues. Make sure your Windows 7 is one latest service pack and all critical Windows Update is applied. Also Selective Startup would be a good idea

Last edited:
hmm, interesting results, i did this about 2-3 times for each one.

safe mode

"with" extra usb port device + eSATA external HD = cant shut down properly

"with" extra usb port device = cant shut down properly

"with" eSATA external HD = shut down successfully.

without any devices plugged = shut down successfully.

this must mean, something is up with my usb port or either the usb device (but the problem is, this wasn't never the case before.. so i must be something related to the updates effecting this)

normal start up

"with" extra usb port device + eSATA external HD = cant shut down properly

"with" extra usb port device = cant shut down properly

"with" eSATA external HD = shut down successfully.

without any devices plugged = shut down successfully.

its definitely something to do with the USB port/related because i'm able to shut down/restart successfully now as long as i remove the devices and then shutdown.

as for nVIDIA comment, yes I use nvidia GPU and latest driver is 275.33 but now that i think about it, i can't really remember if this caused an issue but its hard to say.

as for these results for now, its definitely something to do with the USB port/device.

I've done a test where i disabled this during the power setting (when i tried another various method) whilst the USB port/device was still plugged, still wasn't able to shut it down successfully.

as for the windows updates, yes i'm fairly certain everything is to update because i automatically set the settings on.

the driver issues, hmm - most should be up to date according to the dell site, so i dont know really.

--------------------

edit; going to shut down again, had my USB device plugged in (as i use external keyboard/mouse and such) going to remove it and see what happens.

2nd edit;

seems like it didnt shut down when removing it after using it, will test again later

Last edited:
Hi there,

nVidia Driver Helper service can cause problem. Go to Start > Run and type services.msc. Locate the nVidia Driver Helper item and right click it. Select Properties. Set the startup value of the service to “Manual” or “Disabled”. Then test it and see if that works.

I only see

NVIDIA Display Driver Service
NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver service
NVIDIA Update Service Daemon

I've disabled these before, still no luck (this was when my stuff was still plugged in) so im not sure if thats the problem, but i've read about the NVIDIA update causing problems, which is how i got to that step in the first place.

You said with all the devices detached it shutdown fine. Connect the devices one by one and see which one is causing the problem.

yep doing that now.

seems like the wireless keyboard signal device + keyboard seems fine.

these were all connected through a USB hub (as i use many things which are connected by via USB which is why i had one).

going to try a few things, now - thanks for the quick response/help.

will post back in abit.

okay well.. i've tested everything

used all the devices in the original laptop usb ports. all fine.

used all the devices and plugged into the usb hub (then connected to the laptop) all works fine

it seems like everything works fine - tested this twice now by shutting down and successfully shuts down perfectly.

i'll check on this later again and see if any results have changed.

thanks again for the help, probably the drivers of the usb devices messed up or so and when i replugged them again, seems like it was installing/updating the devices so maybe that was it.

Back