Windows 7 Can't upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate

chas638

I bought the full retail Win 7 Ultimate and trying to upgrade Windows Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate, both 32bit. I get to the Expanding Windows files to 21% and nothing. The program is still running and stuck at 21% but after waiting 3 hours I shut power off and Vista was reinstated. Why can't I get past 21% Expanding Windows files? I want to use the upgrade because I have a ton of programs on my Vista and don't want to spend days reinstalling them.Please help

It's a pain reinstalling the software and tweaking everything but a clean install is always better than an upgrade. Upgrades frequently have problems and you end up doing a clean install to fix the mess anyway. Make sure you run the upgrade advisor and see if there are any problems shown there.
Joe

A re-install would be the idea thing to do. Did you run the Upgrade Advisor before? This will find any problems they system could have.

A re-install would be the idea thing to do. Did you run the Upgrade Advisor before? This will find any problems they system could have.

The only things advisory found were that Windows Mail is not supported, iTunes would have to be reinstalled and Storage controllers: ATYSPPWT IDE Controller. I have a couple of virtual drives which I'm going to remove.
Does anyone think the problem with the upgrade could be the virtual drives?

I actually did have issues with virtual drives. I needed to uninstall all virtualizing software for the upgrade to run.

I uninstalled all the vitual drives and software but still stuck at 21%.
I have my Vista on 1tb drive C: and a second 2tb drive with 2 partitons. The first partition is 400gb with nothing in it and a second partition has 1.4tb of files.
Is there a way to duel boot using my C; drive for Vista and the second drives 400gb partition and use both?

Sure, no problem dual booting. How you install Windows 7 will determine where the boot files are for each OS, but just remember the Windows 7 boot files will go on the drive shown as primary in the Bios.

If the Vista drive is primary, then Windows 7 will use the same Boot partition as Vista and you will be ready to go. If you ever decide to remove the Vista drive, it is a simple command to put boot files in another location.

If you make the other drive primary, then Windows 7 will be installed independently and you can use a boot selection to boot to one or the other, or you can use a command to merge the boot files into one.

If you are concerned about causing a problem with Vista, remove that drive until the Windows 7 install is complete.

If you are using an Upgrade version of Windows 7, some of this process will need to be altered. But let us know if you need help, and make very sure you can identify which partition you are looking at.

I installed Win 7 in the second drive. Now when I start my computer I'm given the chose between them.
Off the bat not crazy about Win 7. In Vista I got rid of the permission warnings in accounts but don't know how to do in Win 7.
Thanks for your help

Sure, no problem dual booting. How you install Windows 7 will determine where the boot files are for each OS, but just remember the Windows 7 boot files will go on the drive shown as primary in the Bios.

If the Vista drive is primary, then Windows 7 will use the same Boot partition as Vista and you will be ready to go. If you ever decide to remove the Vista drive, it is a simple command to put boot files in another location.

If you make the other drive primary, then Windows 7 will be installed independently and you can use a boot selection to boot to one or the other, or you can use a command to merge the boot files into one.

If you are concerned about causing a problem with Vista, remove that drive until the Windows 7 install is complete.

If you are using an Upgrade version of Windows 7, some of this process will need to be altered. But let us know if you need help, and make very sure you can identify which partition you are looking at.

I now have Vista on my c drive and Win7 on my second drive. What do I have to do If I decide to get rid of the c drive with Vista on it and use the second drive as my primary c drive? Will I loose the boot file and Win7?

You won't actually loose 7 but, it won't boot. Since the boot is on the Vista drive you have to leave it sit there. There is a way to move the boot. In a dual-boot the boot is where the 1st OS was installed. The alternative is blow Vista away, putting a clean install of 7 where Vista was. I'm in the same boat as I dual-boot to both Win7 x86 & x64. The 32 had gone in 1st. Ergo, it has the boot... I never use the 32-bit so, really don't need it but, alas, it has the boot. You can change the boot priority so it boots to the 64-bit choice (1st); the 32 will still be listed 1st but, the 64 will be highlighted & start 1st. This what I have, currently although, may move the boot sometime & format the 32-bit 7.

Cheers,
Drew

I now have duel boot, Vista was already installed on first drive c: and clean install Win 7 on second drive. From what I gather here the boot file is on my c drive with Vista. Eventually I want to move all my files and programs to Win7 and remove Vista.
Can I set up Win 7 now to boot after I remove the Vista drive? I want to keep both now because I'm still need Vista until I install all my programs that I use daily into Win 7.

Yes, you can. You just need to put the boot files in the Windows 7 partition (bcdboot), and make the partition active.

If you are booted into Windows 7 so it is the C: drive, you would use a command

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

to install the boot files in the Windows 7 partition. You may be able to use just a command window, but if it refuses, use an Administrative command window.

Then just open Disk Management and make that partition active.

But it is always a good idea to attach a picture of your Disk Management window for confirmation. You can use the snipping tool to take the picture then attach using the paperclip on the Advanced Replies

Last edited:
FYI:

I had a dual-boot, Windows 7 x86 & x64. x86 was the 1st OS installed & held the Boot.

Using bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:the boot was moved to the x64's parition. This is via cmd on the (now) 'preferred' machine, where the Boot is to be.

Link Removed - Invalid URL holding the x86 was disconnected, to confirm the x64 would, now, boot w/out the x86 in the picture. (optional)

x86 partition formatted.

In msconfig all boot paths, except the x64, deleted.

Can & may use the, now, free partition for Windows 8; prefer, not virtual. (but, that's an aside to this discussion)

Anyway, in keeping w/ this thread's topic... the above is how it's done. Quite easy & simple , really.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
Back