Can't upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

I just got my windows 7 ultimate. I was able to successful install it on a new hard drive on another computer. It was pretty good so i decide to upgrade my vista home premium. When ever i tried to upgrade my vista home premium i would get an error. I use the windows 7 upgrade advisor and it says i can upgrade to win 7 ultimate. can someone help me with this problem.
Im on vista home premium x64

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
If you have Vista 64bit, Do you have a 64bit Windows 7. Is your Windows 7 Disc 32bit. You say you bought Windows 7 Ultimate and you already have Windows Vista Home Premium, well you can't do that. If you have Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium you can only upgrade to Windows 7 64bit Home Premium So with Ultimate you can only do a "blast and Install" which means you can only clean install it and you will lose all programs and data. So back up, the only way.

"I just got my windows 7 ultimate. I was able to successful install it on a new hard drive on another computer.so i decide to upgrade my vista home premium."
You said you installed it on another computer, if you did this you cannot install it on a second computer as the license is good for one computer only. So if you already installed it successfully on a new Hard drive you cannot install it on another computer.

Oh okay, so i have to get another windows 7 ultimate. If i get another one, do i have to get a windows 7 home premium x64, then get a windows 7 ultimate to keep all my stuff. I wouln't mind losing all my stuff, but i want the nVidia software installed in my computer. I'd use a cd for the nVidia software, but the software is from my factory default recovery disc and i don't think you could just install the nVidia software without having to install the rest of the factory default software.

No you can't. If you want to upgrade from Windows Vista 64Bit home premium, Get Windows 7 Home 64bit premium.

If you want Windows 7 Ultimate you have to fresh install it. For you to know.

1). Windows Vista 64bit home premium can only be upgraded to Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
2). Windows Vista 64bit Buisness can only be upgraded to Windows 7 64bit Professional
3). Windows Vista 64bit ultimate can only be upgraded to Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
OR
1). Windows Vista 32bit home premium can only be upgraded to Windows 7 32bit Home Premium
2). Windows Vista 32bit Buisness can only be upgraded to Windows 7 32bit Professional
3). Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate can only be upgraded to Windows 7 32bit Ultimate

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.