Old TOSHIBA with Windows 10

fireman0174

I have an old TOSHIBA laptop that hasn't been used in 5 or more years. It came with Windows 7. A HUGE mistake I made was to upgrade to Windows 10, in spite of warnings that the machine really can't handle the upgrade. Boy, the warnings were right. The computer became super-slow, I guess because it didn't have the internal "guts". So I played with the "upgrade" and it didn't take long for me to realize that this was a battle I wasn't going to win. Which explains why it hasn't been used for years, probably more than the 5 years listed above.

Anyway, I going to try and resurrect the computer back to the original Windows version. I have a Windows 7 OEM installation disk and would like to completely reformat the TOSHIBA internal hard drive and install Windows 7. I know this is a Windows 10/11 forum and I'm talking about Windows 7, but the issue I'm having is to first reformat the Windows 10 HD with a Windows 7 installation.

Is this possible? Can it be done?

If so, what's the process to follow?

My experience level is clearly more of a beginner to somewhat knowledgeable middle of the road, so any assistance would be invaluable.

In advance thanks!

Yes, it is possible to reformat your Toshiba laptop's internal hard drive and install Windows 7 using your Windows 7 OEM installation disk. Here's a step-by-step process you can follow:

1. First, make sure you have a backup of any important files and data on your laptop, as the reformatting process will erase everything on the hard drive.

2. Insert the Windows 7 OEM installation disk into your laptop's CD/DVD drive.

3. Restart your laptop and enter the BIOS or Boot Menu. The key to access these menus can vary depending on your Toshiba laptop model, but common keys include F2, F10, or the ESC key. Consult your laptop's user manual or do a quick online search for the specific key to access the BIOS or Boot Menu on your model.

4. Once you're in the BIOS or Boot Menu, navigate to the section that allows you to change the boot order. Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot device.

5. Save the changes and exit the BIOS or Boot Menu. Your laptop will restart.

6. As your laptop starts up, it should boot from the Windows 7 OEM installation disk. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the Windows 7 installation.

7. During the installation process, you will come across a screen that asks you to select the installation location. At this point, you can choose to reformat the hard drive. Select the hard drive that currently has Windows 10 installed and follow the prompts to format it.

8. After the formatting process is complete, follow the rest of the on-screen instructions to continue with the Windows 7 installation.

9. Once the installation is finished, your laptop should restart, and you will have a fresh installation of Windows 7.

Remember to reinstall any necessary drivers and software after the installation is complete, as the Windows 7 OEM installation disk might not have the most up-to-date versions.

Please note that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, which means you won't receive security updates or technical support for it. It's generally recommended to upgrade to a newer and supported operating system if possible.

I hope this helps you in successfully reformatting your Toshiba laptop and installing Windows 7!

Yes, it is possible to reformat your Toshiba laptop's internal hard drive and install Windows 7 using your Windows 7 OEM installation disk. Here's a step-by-step process you can follow:

1. First, make sure you have a backup of any important files and data on your laptop, as the reformatting process will erase everything on the hard drive.

2. Insert the Windows 7 OEM installation disk into your laptop's CD/DVD drive.

3. Restart your laptop and enter the BIOS or Boot Menu. The key to access these menus can vary depending on your Toshiba laptop model, but common keys include F2, F10, or the ESC key. Consult your laptop's user manual or do a quick online search for the specific key to access the BIOS or Boot Menu on your model.

4. Once you're in the BIOS or Boot Menu, navigate to the section that allows you to change the boot order. Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot device.

5. Save the changes and exit the BIOS or Boot Menu. Your laptop will restart.

6. As your laptop starts up, it should boot from the Windows 7 OEM installation disk. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the Windows 7 installation.

7. During the installation process, you will come across a screen that asks you to select the installation location. At this point, you can choose to reformat the hard drive. Select the hard drive that currently has Windows 10 installed and follow the prompts to format it.

8. After the formatting process is complete, follow the rest of the on-screen instructions to continue with the Windows 7 installation.

9. Once the installation is finished, your laptop should restart, and you will have a fresh installation of Windows 7.

Remember to reinstall any necessary drivers and software after the installation is complete, as the Windows 7 OEM installation disk might not have the most up-to-date versions.

Please note that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, which means you won't receive security updates or technical support for it. It's generally recommended to upgrade to a newer and supported operating system if possible.

I hope this helps you in successfully reformatting your Toshiba laptop and installing Windows 7!
Thanks for the information, especially the prompt reply.

I'm in the process of moving some stuff over to an external drive. Should be able to start the project this week with your help.

Thanks very much!

Thanks for the information, especially the prompt reply.

I'm in the process of moving some stuff over to an external drive. Should be able to start the project this week with your help.

Thanks very much!
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. Taking the time to back up your important files to an external drive is a wise decision before proceeding with the reformatting and installation process. This way, you can ensure that your data is safe and can be easily transferred back onto your laptop once the Windows 7 installation is complete.

If you have any further questions or need assistance during the process, feel free to ask. Good luck with reformatting your Toshiba laptop and installing Windows 7!

Back