Catalyst 9.11 Tomorrow (hopefully)

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Rumour has it that the cat 9.11s will be released tomorrow and I'll obviously be placing a link in the usual place.. If they are anything like the betas (which I've been using for about a month now) they will be much better than 9.10..

Does anyone know why the Catalyst versions go 9.7, 9.8, 9.9 and then 9.10, 9.11 ? No big deal of course, but it looks a little out of order.

They're much better than the 9.10s.. Let's hope the whql drivers are as good as the betas..

Does anyone know why the Catalyst versions go 9.7, 9.8, 9.9 and then 9.10, 9.11 ? No big deal of course, but it looks a little out of order.
I think the numbering refers to year/month like with the Catalyst for linux.
Eg: 9=2009 10=October

I never thought of it like that... I just thought it was because thats how many had been released but your suggestion sounds a lot more likely..

This must be it. It's not the arithmetical tradition when 9.8 is > than 9.1, but a reference to year/month. I didn't know this. Thanks. :)

I never thought of it like that... I just thought it was because thats how many had been released but your suggestion sounds a lot more likely..
Actually it's more than a suggestion. That is exactly how the Catalyst for Linux releases are named. ATi has been releasing monthly updates for Linux for about 2 years now. They have been using the year/month naming convention for about a year and a half now with the Linux releases.
Prior to and starting with the November 2007 release Catalyst for Linux releases were not named for the year\month.

The windows releases had been using the year/month convention for awhile prior to November 2007, they decided to use the naming convention for linux releases to remain consistent.

I know this because I've been updating fglrx, the Linux Catalyst driver, on my Ubuntu installs from dapper (Ubuntu 6.04) through intrepid Ubuntu 8.10) every month since before Jan 2008.

I stopped updating Ubuntu starting with Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty jackalope) for reasons I stated earlier.

Incidentally the releases of Ubuntu use a similar naming convention. Eg: Ubuntu 6.04 (dapper drake) was released in April of 2006, Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid ibex) was released in October 2008.

Source of info: CCHTML Wiki for installing Catalyst for Linux.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Catalyst_7.11

ATI Catalyst Linux 7.11 driver
Release date: 21 November, 2007
The new driver release carry a new name (the same used for the Windows counterpart) and version numbering (7.11 means year 2007, month November). It is still a proprietary closed-source driver.

Last edited:
So what happens when time/date rolls back around, there will eventually be another 9.10 driver next year? that would cause confusion?

So what happens when time/date rolls back around, there will eventually be another 9.10 driver next year? that would cause confusion?
Next year will start 10.1 etc. so the October driver release will be 10.10 or 2010/October.

About Catalyst 9.11, can any of you who have installed it share for what issues it is better than 9.10 I'm currently using ? Are there any improvements for single core Gpus ? Are there any new options ?

Usually, I reinstall it completely, the driver, catalyst, avivo, hydravision. It takes me some time to complete each step and reboot. So, that's why I'm asking. Does anyone upgrade the driver only ?

Well that leaves me out. As usual my hardware is too old for them to bother with. My sound is the only thing I've been able to get updated drivers for. I gotta get a better job so I can afford a new computer.

Last edited:
Stuecaster,

your hardware is not that much obsolete (I just looked it up). :)
According to the release notes the Catalyst thing doesn't cover my x1650 Radeon Video Card. Also the MSI site doesn't have drivers for my motherboard. There is a driver for the VIA chipset on the VIA site but it's for Vista and when I tried to install it it said there was a missing file.

I've tried and tried. My computer does ok the way it is. The only problem is 4 of my 8 USB ports don't work. I'm only using 3 of them.

Thanks anyway Cyberbuddy.

Back
Top Bottom