Windows 7 Catastrophic system behavior

phlopper

Hi everybody. Before I start, I would like to say that I am not being lazy, I really have tried to solve this problem. I have also searched this and other forums, and though there are several threads about 'the application has stopped working' for specific programs, I can't find any info about my problem, which is that this 'the application has stopped working' error happens to all my programs at some point (sound driver, graphics card, graphics card driver, ie, firefox, Win7 sidebar ect) and my whole system just crashes a few times a day.

I have built this system recently and only have a few programs installed. I carefully monitor the startup list and task manager so I know what's going on on my PC, I highly doubt I have a virus. I also run scans regularly.

My graphics card, which is a quite a powerful workstation card is acting strange, not performing up to it's potentioal. Also many crashes happen during GPU related tasks, e.g. starting a game (aion MMORPG) or using Blender 3d (I do a lot of 3d work which is why I went for this setup).
My desktop items have disappeared, and the system just crashes from time to time, even if I am doing nothing.
I also recently upgraded from 6 to 12 gigs of ram, though the problem was already there before that, however it has increased in frequency recently. Yes they are exactly the same 6 gb modules. Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i7-950
Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 Triple-Channel (CL7) - 6 GB Kit X2
ATI FirePro V7750 - 1 GB (PCIe 16x)
WD VelociRaptor SATA II - 300 GB
Thermaltake Toughpower - 850W
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - [OEM] EN

Are you sure you have the most up-to-date graphics and chipset drivers, also, is the card fully compatible with the other components of your system?

Hi everybody. Before I start, I would like to say that I am not being lazy, I really have tried to solve this problem. I have also searched this and other forums, and though there are several threads about 'the application has stopped working' for specific programs, I can't find any info about my problem, which is that this 'the application has stopped working' error happens to all my programs at some point (sound driver, graphics card, graphics card driver, ie, firefox, Win7 sidebar ect) and my whole system just crashes a few times a day.

I have built this system recently and only have a few programs installed. I carefully monitor the startup list and task manager so I know what's going on on my PC, I highly doubt I have a virus. I also run scans regularly.

My graphics card, which is a quite a powerful workstation card is acting strange, not performing up to it's potentioal. Also many crashes happen during GPU related tasks, e.g. starting a game (aion MMORPG) or using Blender 3d (I do a lot of 3d work which is why I went for this setup).
My desktop items have disappeared, and the system just crashes from time to time, even if I am doing nothing.
I also recently upgraded from 6 to 12 gigs of ram, though the problem was already there before that, however it has increased in frequency recently. Yes they are exactly the same 6 gb modules. Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i7-950
Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 Triple-Channel (CL7) - 6 GB Kit X2
ATI FirePro V7750 - 1 GB (PCIe 16x)
WD VelociRaptor SATA II - 300 GB
Thermaltake Toughpower - 850W
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - [OEM] EN

First off, very nice system....I know I've seen some similar issues that have been caused by the Mobo default handling of memory voltage and timings being inconsistent or inappropriate for the actual memory installed perhaps check the specs on you memory modules and investigate how the motherboard is setting the voltages and adjust accordingly. Hope this helps

Hi, thanks for the fast replies, I very much appreciate it. I am quite sure I have the latest drivers, though will check again for the mobo when I get home. Am also going to recheck compatibility of my hardware. I have also looked into the RAM I am using, there could possibly be an issue with running the 2 X 6GB kits instead of a single 12GB one. Not sure though, as I already had some issues before I upgraded to 12GB, though it's gottenn alot worse recently. I have started a thread over at the corsair forums. I will also check how the mobo is handeling the mem voltages.
Will post back here with my findings.

BTW is there an easy way to check compatibility of a hardware config? I checked MOBO compatibility of each piece that I bought before getting the bits, but searching google for possible issues between each piece and each other piece could take ages....

Cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom