Windows 8 CD/DVD not recognized unless disc inserted before boot

stephengca

Greetings, I hope that this thread is acceptable in this forum. After upgrading to Windows 8 my CD/DVD unit (a Samsung - TSST corp CDDVDW Sh-S223L) will not be recognized unless a disc is inserted before boot. Then disc can be removed and new one inserted later.
Any assistance appreciated. Stephen

But, if you continue a normal boot, without a disk in place, and, after start up, insert a disk, does it then show? If so, then that is a normal function of Windows 8. It does not load items on start up, unless needed. This also applies to services which only have "on demand" use. It is on of the ways that MS have achieved the improvement in start up time.

Don't know how old the unit is, but in Windows 7 I once had to update the firmware for a DVD drive to get it to work correctly.

Thanks David. Unfortunately if a disc is not in the drive at boot it will not be recognized when inserted after boot.

Thanks Saltgrass. Firmware has been upgraded. I might add that it works fine in Windows 7 and I have not been able to find a new driver for Windows 8 from either Samsung or TSST corp.

Back
Top Bottom