Windows 7 CD Writer does not appear in Device Manager

aprete

After imaging my C drive running Windows XP, I did a clean install of Windows 7 to replace it. I have a Pioneer DVD writer and an HP CD writer, both connected to the motherboard (Asus P5B) through a JMicron JMB36X controller.

When I boot Windows 7, only the hard drives (C and D) and the Pioneer DVD writer (E) (and a floppy drive A that I do NOT have) appear as letter-assigned drives in Windows Explorer. The CD writer should be drive F. So I went to Device Manager. The DVD writer is there (as "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109 SCSI CdRom Device") but the CD writer is not. So this is not a "remove the device from Device Manager and let it re-install" issue.

It is not a hardware issue because when I boot of the image copy of my Windows XP system, both the DVD writer and the CD writer are there.

There is no driver to update except for the JMicron controller, and I already did that and re-booted with no results. The JMicron driver is at level 1.17.51.2.

This is not a Registry upper/lower bound issue; I've run Regedit and those Registry values are not in my system.

I know that there are a lot of these types of problems in this forum, but I didn't see exactly this problem anywhere on the forum or on the Internet. Any help would be appreciated. If you need any other information about my system, I will be happy to supply it.

Regards,
Al

Last edited:
Solved

Changed BIOS setting from IDE to AHCI and re-booted. Both optical drives are now available.

Back