Windows 10 Certain files are not copied from PC to NAS, alleged use by other program

Franz47

After replacement of a harddisk in my NAS I want to shovel back about 1 TB files from my PC win10 64 bit to it.

Tried it first with robocopy. File transfers ended when some mp4, some tif files were to be copied. Error message - Other app using them. Resource monitor showed no handles to these files. I turned of everythin in task-manager, still no help.

Then I tried the same procedure with my sync software Goodsync - same problem, many tif, mp4 files were not transferred with the similar error message.

Now I am trying to transfer with explorer copy paste. Everything running very slow. Speed goes down to zero once a while then goes up again. I configured the LAN speed on the NAS from 1000 Mbps to Auto. PC and NAS connected via unmanaged Gigabit switch.

Any idea what might be the reason for the refusal of file copying and statement that they are used by another program though I cannot find any?

It will generally either be an open handle or insufficient permissions. Process Explorer works very well to identify open handles handles

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed Process Explorer but when running it, I did not understand very much what it displayed. But I have come along with a solution, which popped up in my mind. I have two LAN cards in my desktop, both attached via LAN cable to the switch in my home network, both with static IP-addresses. Usually one interface is deactivated, but I had activated both thinking that this might speed up transfer between desktop and NAS. Apparently that only screwed up things. I disconnected one LAN cable, rebooted and now Goodsync transfers all files not transferred before, also estimated sync time about 6 hours compared to several days with both LAN connections active. Now only about 45 min left and no error message yet. Bingo!

Yeah that would only be helpful if you team the NICS. Two on the same net segment otherwise is not recommended.

Back
Top Bottom