Windows 7 Change to Windows 7 64?

Itaku

Im currently using Windows 7 x86 and I'm wondering if theres a way to switch to x64, or if I even should change to 64 bit, is it good at all?

It is possible to switch to 64 bit yes but you have to first make sure you have the hardware needed to run a 64 bit OS.. Like a 64 bit compatible CPU for example.. ;) If you do then all you have to do to switch is a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit edition.. unfortunately you can't just do an upgrade from an x86 OS to an x64 OS.. it has to be a clean install (as in format the partition you wish to install on then install win 7 64 bit).. As far as it being worth it or not.. well that all depends on what you use your pc for.. if all you do is surf the web, read emails, watch videos.. then no it's not really worth the switch.. However, if you do heavy video editing or heavy gaming for example than yes the switch would be worth it in my opinion...

Also, drivers for a 64bit OS CAN be more difficult to find than drivers for 32 bit OS's.. though that's becoming less of an issue these days as more and more people are switching to 64 bit OS's as their primary OS.. I'd suggest doing some research first on your hardware and making sure there are 64bit drivers available for each component first...

That all being said, I should also point out the RAM issue... the biggest advantage to using a 64 bit OS is the fact that it let's you make full use of 4GB's of RAM.. OR MORE (128GB + ) So if your system has 4GB, 6GB, 8GB, 10GB of RAM ... (you get the picture) than 64 bit is an excellent choice because you'll actually get to see/use all of it.. ;) If you only have 2GB's installed though then 64bit wouldn't really be worth switching to in my opinion.. :)

Hopefully that clears it up a bit for ya.. :)

I just installed Windows7 x64 after running x32 since it came out. It hasn't been a bed or roses. I've installed x64 seven times. My biggest problem was getting an SM Bus driver that would work. One program, Microsoft Bookshelf, wouldn't install. I can live without that.

My worst problem right now is I can't install my HP Laserjet 1020 printer.

On the other hand, it's running well now and my Lightroom 2.3x64 runs faster than my old Lightroom 2.3x32.

Edit: I noticed two version of Internet Explorer and discovered the 32bit was running by default. I switch to x64 and it's faster.

I also got my printer problem solved. Now, other than the one program that wouldn't run, all is running well.

and still no flash player for x64, even IE x64...........................................It seems faster, but a browser with out flash player is damn near usless

and still no flash player for x64, even IE x64...........................................It seems faster, but a browser with out flash player is damn near usless

I haven't had any problem with the flash player in firefox or both versions of IE8.

-Windows 7 64 bit build 7000-

edit- I was wrong about 64bit IE.

It is possible to switch to 64 bit yes but you have to first make sure you have the hardware needed to run a 64 bit OS.. Like a 64 bit compatible CPU for example.. ;) If you do then all you have to do to switch is a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit edition.. unfortunately you can't just do an upgrade from an x86 OS to an x64 OS.. it has to be a clean install (as in format the partition you wish to install on then install win 7 64 bit).. As far as it being worth it or not.. well that all depends on what you use your pc for.. if all you do is surf the web, read emails, watch videos.. then no it's not really worth the switch.. However, if you do heavy video editing or heavy gaming for example than yes the switch would be worth it in my opinion...

Also, drivers for a 64bit OS CAN be more difficult to find than drivers for 32 bit OS's.. though that's becoming less of an issue these days as more and more people are switching to 64 bit OS's as their primary OS.. I'd suggest doing some research first on your hardware and making sure there are 64bit drivers available for each component first...

That all being said, I should also point out the RAM issue... the biggest advantage to using a 64 bit OS is the fact that it let's you make full use of 4GB's of RAM.. OR MORE (128GB + ) So if your system has 4GB, 6GB, 8GB, 10GB of RAM ... (you get the picture) than 64 bit is an excellent choice because you'll actually get to see/use all of it.. ;) If you only have 2GB's installed though then 64bit wouldn't really be worth switching to in my opinion.. :)

Hopefully that clears it up a bit for ya.. :)

Yes but if the Video Editing software package or gaming software isn't written is 64 bit code then performance will be better in a 32 bit OS.

@orlbuckeye

Yes and no.. as a rule of thumb yes that is true.. but their have actually been reports and benchmarks done that show some video editing software and some games are actually faster in a 64 bit environment even if they are written in 32 bit.. ;) But yes, like I said as a rule of thumb you are right... I think it of it as a bonus if the app or game turns out to be quicker in the 64 bit OS if it was written for a 32 bit one.. :)

Back