Windows Vista Changing the look of Windows

kaycee65

I am trying to see just how far I can go with Windows Vista to change the look and feel of it. I have changed my desktop drammatically but I need to know if it is possible somehow to lock the icons in place so that they can't be moved about. I like the look of it and don't want it changed accidentally (like I've done a few times):confused: :)
Also how do I post a picture on here from my harddrive? Then I could show you my desktop (although I'm starting to call it the Front Page). :D

Hi!! There's this cool utility called: Link Removed due to 404 Error-- When you get to this site, go to the search box and put in lock icons. When it brings up the screen, scroll down to "Easy Desktop Keeper 2.3 download by Ixis LTD"

Hi Kaycee, if you right-click on the desktop and then personalise you'll see in the left-hand column the words 'Desktop Icons'. Its here you can make a few more icons semi-permanent.
To capture a 'screen shot' of your desktop first hit the 'printscreen' key (normally located next to F12,this is the key that takes the screenshot). Then open the 'Paint' utility and make sure the mouse cursor is inside the white box and hit ctrl+v. Voila, you'll see your desktop appear ready for you to save..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

as I said above, just make sure your cursor is inside the box you see above and hit ctrl+V.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

again after I've hit Ctrl+v. Then just save the image to which-ever folder you want to..
Any problems post back..:D

Right click the desktop. Select "View". Tick "Auto arrange and "Align to grid.
You will then find that if you move an icon out of position, it will immediately jump back to where it belongs.

Here is a pic of my desktop. It's just eight icons on the desktop but made much bigger (click on desktop, hold down CTRL and roll scroll wheel on mouse). What I want to do, if at all possible, is lock those icons in place so they can't be moved and can't be made smaller or larger. Can it be done in Vista?

Did you read Davehc's post?

I read the post but that's not what I want to do. :) I want to lock the icons in place so that they can't be moved at all (align to grid doesn't do this). Also is there any way to make sure that when I install programs etc... that they DO NOT put an icon on the desktop? :confused:

As long as you don't have it set to align to grid and auto arrange, the icons should not move. And as far as I know when your installing a program some of them ask about creating a desktop icon and some don't. If you don't want it, delete it. As for myself I don't use desktop Icons. It clutters up the screen.
just my 2 cents. :D

As long as you don't have it set to align to grid and auto arrange, the icons should not move.
just my 2 cents. :D
If you do not have those options selected, the icons are most certainly not locked and can be moved freely.

Fatboy is correct about when installing programs that most give you the option to have a desktop icon or not. I also don't have icons on the desktop apart from the 'bin'....

I never said they would be locked. What I'm saying is they wont move automatically.:rolleyes:
See the OP's request:
"What I want to do, if at all possible, is lock those icons in place so they can't be moved and can't be made smaller or larger."

Back