Windows 7 check disk error

win guy

Last year when check disk was run automatically on startup it repaired a ton of errors and then this week when check disk again ran automatically again it said that an unexpected error occured and it was not able to lock the drive and told that it may be because of a resent software installation and it advised me to run system restore but knew it won't work because there are disk errors and it didn't i also tried to schedule check disk from cmd but still same results i tried many things but i am still in circles please help me.I currently run a windows 7 32 bit operating system and there were no viruses when i scanned it

If you can still boot and run your machine then;
Launch an elevated command prompt (StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, right click it and choose Run As Administrator) and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter and answer Yes “Y” when prompted and reboot.
Let it run all five stages. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Click the StartOrb and type event viewer and hit enter, expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter.

If you machine will not boot and run then you'll likely need to remove the drive and attach it to a machine that does to perform a ChkDsk on it.

There are a few other options depending on the current status of the machine.
John has a nice page here http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html with reference links to various manufacturer's diagnostic utilities which I believe are for the most part completely free.

A commercial software like SpinRite might also be an option but it is definitely not free and not cheap. https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

the chkdsk command you posted shows the same error on boot
"check disk can't open the volume for direct access
this might have been caused due to a recent software installation
please use system restore from the control panel to restore the system to a point before the installation
an unexpected error occured -.............................................."
the post of john would only be use for diagnostics.I am hundred percent sure that there are disk errors as i ran a disk check using system mechanic but system mechanic also promted only check disk to start on next boot so still no use.so please tell me a way to get out of this just help for removing those disk errors would also be appreciated

Last edited:
Last year when check disk was run automatically on startup it repaired a ton of errors and then this week when check disk again ran automatically again it said that an unexpected error occured and it was not able to lock the drive
As I said earlier, it may be possible for you to attach the drive to another system if you have the physical resources to do so and examine the drive that way.
However; it sounds like it may be a bit too late. The "ton of errors" comment does not bode well, if it was marking kilobytes in "bad sectors" at that time then that may have been an indication of pending catastrophic drive failure "last year".

Although you haven't made it clear as to whether or not your machine does boot and run, it would seem that you are able to run chkdsk from an elevated command prompt, so if that is the case then it may not be entirely too late. You may still be able to copy off some if not all of your critical data to an external resource and purchase a drive replacement or if it's still under warranty then have the drive replaced through the manufacturer.

You'll need your installation media as well as your windows product key to reinstall your operating system to the new drive.

first the phrase 'ton of errors' was an exaggeration and then i don't know how to attach the drive to an other system and plus the drives of this system are over 10 years old and I think seagate won't give this high warranty period.And plus the error started once i downloaded google earth so it might have caused that unexpected error . can you please recommend me a another software to download and repair those errors

Since you mention "Seagate" then I would suggest SeaTools http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
There are guides for both the Windows version as well as the DOS version. Since you still have not made clear whether your machine actually boots and runs Windows, I cannot say which one you might need.
The "Fix All - Long" test in the Windows version may help but you really need to read the guides to understand what it is doing and what might happen as a result.

Again if you have the physical resources available backing up your critical data is essential if at all possible.
And a "10 year old drive" is something you might consider replacing anyway. How much actual free space is on the drive? And since you mentioned "Google Earth" can you just uninstall it and delete the download?

my machine boots perfectly and runs windows perfectly too except the disk check that runs automatically. there 69.3 gb free on the disk and i already uninstalled google earth

sorry the download you suggested did not work can you tell me a correct option in the file you suggested me to download or can you tell me a another way to get out of this

sorry the download you suggested did not work can you tell me a correct option in the file you suggested me to download or can you tell me a another way to get out of this
If by "out of this", you mean preventing chkdsk from running at startup then I would suggest the perhaps you might try any number of methods described by a simple Google search.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stop chkdsk from running at startup

But stopping it from running is not actually a solution. Again a 10 year old disk may have some serious mechanical problems and you should consider replacing it, or at a minimum make a comprehensive backup of all your critical data.

Back