Windows 8 Check low level debug logs for a WAN miniport

Gopi Krishna

Hey everyone,
I am trying to debug an issue while connecting my router to the internet . Detailed scenario here:

Router details:
TP-Link TL-WR841N V10
Firmware version : 3.16.9 Build 150310 Rel.55259n
When I directly plug-in the LAN cable provided by the ISP(Omwebnet) into my windows system and provide username(batcave)/password provided by ISP, connects successfully.

When I connect LAN to router and configure router to connect over PPPoE, throws a CHAP authentication failure (same credentials)

attached logfile generated by router

It would be great if i was able to view the syslogs when the WAN Miniport adapter is authenticating with the ISP's peer. Is that possible? IF yes, then how?

TIA!

Attachments

• Syslog (1).txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 490
Hi there,
Right off the bat, I would recommend replacing your Router with a better quality brand such as Cisco/Linkys or Netgear. TP-Link's equipment is sketchy, and the driver software is horrible. Each of their devices I have encountered at Customer situations have crashed the computer they connected to (adapters), or crashed the LAN they were plugged into (Routers). New brand-name Routers are cheap; under $60 from Radio Shack, or Walmart. You get what you pay for.

It's also very unlikely to connect to PPPoE, as very few ISPs actual use this as a connection method, as least in the US.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

When I directly plug-in the LAN cable provided by the ISP(Omwebnet) into my windows system and provide username(batcave)/password provided by ISP, connects successfully.
I read this that your provider gave you a router... in most senarios they expect to see that router from their end.

When I connect LAN to router and configure router to connect over PPPoE, throws a CHAP authentication failure (same credentials)

have you tried plugging your tl-router into the one provided by the ip-people... or you can clone the MAC address from the "Network"
If your ISP is running a DHCP server, select the Dynamic IP option... this is the standard in Australia but I'm with Bear in that what country you live in thends to make a difference.

I'd recommend you rign the provider up, tell them you want to use your own router and ask what they can see from their end becuase its very unliky you can resolve it without them but that's what phone support is for mate.

p.s. at the risk of being obvious… if you did a firmware update on your router then ALL settings are reset to default values… tp-link routers allow you to save your settings as a backup bin file and then restore them after doing something like this but if you perhaps skipped that step then you have to start again from scratch.

Note: all routers… not just tp-link ones will reset to default after a firmware

Last edited:
Back