Windows 7 Chkdsk runs everytime computer is boot up

pvanc

Extraordinary Member
Hello,
My daughter's PC, Windows 7 32 bit, all of a sudden started running chkdsk everytime it is booted up. How do we stop this behavior? Her antivirus is up to date and very efficient so we don't know what the computer is checking for.

Please advise as it is driving her crazy.

Thanks,
pvanc

It is possible that the following registry key / value has been set to something other than its' normal default value
Check here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControSet\Control\Session Manager
In the right pane the value of BootExecute should read autocheck autochk *
If it is something other than that double click it and edit it appropriately. See attachment.
Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

I suppose what you need to determine is if the chkdsk is running because of a false flag set in the registry or because problems are being found on the hard drive.

The following link may provide some information, and there is also a fsutil command that can change the dirty bit if necessary. Perhaps this is taken care of in the registry reference Trouble gave you.

CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For

Fsutil dirty

Try this tutorial..... How to reset diskcheck not to run at startup

Check Disk - Reset - Windows 7 Forums

Hello,
My daughter's PC, Windows 7 32 bit, all of a sudden started running chkdsk everytime it is booted up. How do we stop this behavior? Her antivirus is up to date and very efficient so we don't know what the computer is checking for.

Please advise as it is driving her crazy.

Thanks,
pvanc

Back
Top Bottom