Windows 7 Classic vs. New Start Menu

Classic or New(Aero) Start Menu?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Molitar,

Go into the location where CSMenu is installed, and somewhere in there (I've forgotten where) there should be a Documents.ini

Delete that file, and restart CSMenu, and Documents will be gone from the menu!

Thomas

Too many programs

Hello Thomas,

First and foremost, CONGRATS on such a great work. I've found this right after adopting Windows 7 RTM 7600 and got rid of the 'improved' start menu before going nuts over it.

Now, for the problem. Am I the only one who installed enough programs to make CSMenu to cut my list short? If I open "Accesssories" then "System Tools", for example, you can see the menu expanding to the right. Now, the program list itself is cutting programs after I filled the menu enough to go beyond my screen. I can't get the list itself expand to the right as in Win XP's. I already reinstalled (V 0.9) and re-indexed using the 'first run's shortcut but the problem remains.

EDIT: So, ten minutes after posting the 'bug' I found out CSMenu is 'almost' working as it should. The only 'entity' to cause a menu list expansion to the right is a folder. Let's say you have "X" program folders and a few loose shortcuts (outside folders) like Acrobat, Internet Explorer and others (something very common). Well, once you reach your screen's limit, those loose shortcuts will cut off at the bottom UP UNTIL you fill the programs list with enough to have a folder 'hitting' the taskbar. Only then CSMenu will expand to the right and you'll see new folders and, surprise, you'll meet again those missing loose shortcuts. In the end, only a minor issue!

Last edited:
Hi Fred, glad to know you like CSMenu.

Before I try and boot up Windows 7 and fix the problem, I'd just like to double check what I'm looking for. Say for example the working area of your screen (which is the screen size minus taskbars etc) can hold 20 items on a menu. If you have a folder being displayed with 43 items, you should get a menu which is 3 times the width of the original menu. (the first 2 columns would be full and the third just have 3 items). From what I understand, you can only get CSMenu to expand to the right when you have 21 or more folders, it wouldn't work if you had 15 folders and 6 shortcuts. Is that correct? It certainly sounds like the sort of thing I would have missed when testing, as I only remember testing with folders and not shortcuts!

If this is what you are experiencing, just let me know and I'll get right onto it. At the moment I can't work easily with CSMenu as I use Windows XP, so I'll have to re-install Windows 7 on another hard disc. If I've totally got the wrong idea, please correct me!

Thanks,

Thomas.

Hey Thomas,

That's not it at all. I'm attaching two screen captures that will probably make my crazy explanation a little easier to understand...

On the first one, you see a lot of folders and 6 'loose shortcuts' at the bottom. In reality, there's many more of these loose shortcuts but CSMenu won't expand it to the right. Now, after installing a couple more programs I have enough folders in the list to have one being at the bottom, 'hitting the taskbar'. If this is the case (a folder hitting bottom), then CSMenu will expand and you'll find out (screen 2) there were, in fact many more loose shortcuts that we're being cut off from the list.

So, in short, CSMenu will only expand the list itself to the right if the object at the bottom is a folder. A 'loose' shortcut won't cause the expansion.

I hope it helps....

Hi Fred,

I think I overcomplicated things in my last post, but I did get the right idea I think looking at your screenshots.

I just forgot one word in the program code! I've attached a zip file, which just has CSMenu.exe in as I don't have the software set up to compile a new installer etc.

To replace the current CSMenu.exe you might have to first kill CSMenu.exe in the background. This can be done by pressing Control-Alt-Delete, clicking the processes tab, finding CSMenu.exe, select it and then press End Process. Alternatively you can go to the run dialogue and type in "taskkill /f /im CSMenu.exe" (no quotation marks).

Thanks!

Thomas.

Last edited:
You've got it YODA! :razz:

I did remove a few of my installed apps (folders) from Start Menu and the menu expansion was started by an icon hitting the bottom of the list.

Many thanks and have a great one,

Fred

Last edited:
New:
1 botton and I can search everywhere ! (windows key + start typing), but the size of the window make navigating through programs a mess, it'S hard to pin something to the top, not very user friendly ...

Old:
Lots of space to search through instaled programs, No direct search textbox but it wasn't a problem on XP because we had Launchy (much more usefull than the new search feature to find programs btw) so this wasn't an issue.

I'd like to be able to customize it the way I want eg, just add the search textbox in the old menu ... cause right now I like neither, I just live with them the way they are. I had to move to the new one, which I don't really like but I need the new search fe ature because they break compatibility with my beloved Launchy :(

Last edited:
I made a mistake when trying to delete the Documents Menu and caused CSMenu to crash. It wrote out an error report to send to thomasw234. He emailed me back and told me how to fix my problem. I just thought people should know that he's really a cool guy. :)

Thanks thomasw234.

CSMenu has a small problem. When the "Programs Menu" opens up it puts 2 icons down at the bottom behind the taskbar and you can't see them. However this doesn't happen if you use small icons in your taskbar. :)

That's a small price to pay for the convenience of having it. I still can't abide the "All Programs" menu in the new start menu. Everything else about it is cool though. I still have the best of both worlds here. :D

I'd still like for the "Right Click Context Menu" to work though.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm having a bit of trouble replicating the problem (see attached screenshot). I would be very grateful if you could post a screenshot of the problem (maybe one with the larger taskbar, and one with the smaller taskbar).

If I had the time to add context menus I would, but my computing project is getting priority at the moment!

Thanks,

Thomas.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm having a bit of trouble replicating the problem (see attached screenshot). I would be very grateful if you could post a screenshot of the problem (maybe one with the larger taskbar, and one with the smaller taskbar).

If I had the time to add context menus I would, but my computing project is getting priority at the moment!

Thanks,

Thomas.
Ok here are the screen shots you requested. I noticed you use a classic theme. I'm using the Aero theme. It seems to be 1 icon missing not 2. If you'll notice "Windows Fax and Scan" is missing from the Large Icon view

Like I said this really isn't a problem to me. If you have more important things to do I don't mind waiting. Also I am in no rush for the context menus. I'm really glad to have the CSMenu as it is.

Does this software support the RTM of Windows 7? the Readme only mentions build 7100 which is the Release Candidate. Perhaps the first post of this thread should be updated to meantion what version of Windows 7 this software supports?

wasthe Start Menu killer program also designed to work with the RTM?

I haven't read through all 12 pages, but, I have installed a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I downloaded Version .9, and it does not work . The system tray icon disappears once its clicked. Launch CS menu doesn't bring anything up.

Any help?

Franpa

I've been using CSMenu for quite a while now on Build 7100 with no problems.

I didn't use the Start Menu killer however.

I am after information on if it works with the x64 RTM version (build 7600). So far 1 person since my last post has said it does not work. I am a Technet subscriber and have the final version.

Hi,

There is no reason why it shouldn't work on build 7600, but I'm not a TechNet subscriber, so have no means of testing. However, use it at your own risk. CSMenu doesn't modify the registry or any system files, it contains itself in the installation folder (and also puts a link in the startup folder), so even if it doesn't work on 7600, it should do no harm. I've ordered my copy of Windows 7, and I'll let you know as soon as it's delivered.

As to the comment above about it closing as soon as the icon is clicked in the 'tray', this was intentional, although admittedly it's potentially confusing to users. Please accept my apologies for that! To get CSMenu going again, the easiest way is to log off and back on again, don't click the tray icon, but open "Launch CSMenu", and hopefully CSMenu should run.

If you do go ahead and try it on 7600, please let me (and others) know whether it worked or not :).

Thanks,

Thomas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom