• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Thank you – very good job.

Only the localization isn't quiet complete:
"Games" <-> German: "Spiele" correct localization
All other folders localization wrong.

Most menu localizations are correct, but:
"Math Input Panel" should be in German: "Mathematik-Eingabebereich"
"Windows Easy Transfer Reports" - should be in German: "Windows-EasyTransfer-Berichte"
"Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" - should be in German: "Internet Explorer (ohne Add-Ons)

Wrong (yellow folder) icon for:
"Run" (German "Ausführen")
"Control Panel" (German "Systemsteuerung")
"Computer" (German "Computer")

CSMenu Setting tool: For netbooks with screen resolution 1024x600 the setting window is too high. I only can reach the "Save" button when I dock the taskbar at the left screen side. So: Make two columns side by side.

Last edited:
And when I dock the taskbar at the left screen side (and many uses with wide screen resolution do this) the CSMenu opens at the bottom of the screen. So they have to move their mouse to the bottom.

Better - but I think this is more complicate to solve:
  • If taskbar at the bottom: Open CSMenu at the left bottom corner. Menu opens "up" and "right"
  • If taskbar docked at left screen side: Open CSMenu at the top left corner. Menu opens "down" and "right"
  • If taskbar docked at top screen side: Open CSMenu at the top left corner. Menu opens "down" and "right"
  • If taskbar docked at right screen side: Open CSMenu at the top right corner. Menu opens "down" and "left"

The choice

I have been checking windows 7 out for an hour or something now. Yes, im a bit slow upgrading. I was angry when i understood that my lovely classic startmenu is gone. Windows 7 would have been loved by me if it was´nt impossible to change the start menu to classic. My choice is to reinstall windows XP. I dont like Windows vista btw, because it failed on me at first. I know its better now but, as you can understand, i am a bit conservative. Im an old school programmer that does´nt like changes. Ironic i belive. But anyway. It would´nt have been sucking that much if it was´nt for that stupid start menu that fills the whole 15,4" screen of my laptop. Why cut it? I cant belive you did that Microsoft. I love the most of your work, but what is this?

//Kristoffer Frisell @ Microsoft - Sweden

I wouldn't give up so quickly.

Did you say you upgraded rather than performing a "clean" install?

That could be your problem right there.

Myself and 99% other regular posters here say it's the only way to go.

When you upgrade, hundreds of useless files are left behind and this may be causing your problems.

You can add the old Quick Launch bar if you like.

I can provide details if you'd like to give it a try.

When you upgrade, hundreds of useless files are left behind and this may be causing your problems.

Yes listen to the above post the man is a real gem and will get you out of a 1000 or more sticky situations !!

Me in the lucky situation of out of me gourd so me ok . Just look at the help he offers cos it rocks , so even a bottle of vodka can not stop me helping you :D

Last edited:
is there no option to return it to the classic fold out view? win7 and vista are hard to look at

I'm just working on the menu detecting where the start menu is, and opening appropriately, and I've come across a weird glitch :confused:

Does this happen for anyone else? I did this by unlocking the taskbar, moving the menu to the right (from bottom), and then to the top...

Thomas

Try shutting down hit the F8 key on startup and enter Safe Mode.

let Windows fully load, then restart normally.

This should reset the taskbar to it's default position.

Other than that a video driver update may help.

hahaha. Ofcourse not. Its sure an clean reinstall. Im sorry about makeing missunderstanding ;)

Always prefer Classic. It's a shame it's going away. Having to use a scroll wheel to go through the all programs list is just not efficient and the Recent history (and pinning recently used programs) does not help. There is so much space on the desktop, I don't see why the start menu can't be utilized to cover some of that space instead of cluttering it all into a tiny compact area.

I've done my best to give the UI an XP feel to the way I always used it which is massive use of the quick launch. Pinning things to the taskbar clutters things more imho.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I can get rid of the glitch quite easily, by moving the taskbar to another position. The PC I found that on has an nVidia SLi setup, and this PC (also running windows 7) has an ATi integrated graphics chip, and it does the same, so it's not a graphics driver issue... just a weird bug within windows!

I found the thraed: csmenu.zip
Please, do not link to a special file because no one knows to what version you are linking. The developer still is working at this program and offers time by time new versions. So: Better link to the thread - then everybody can see if there is a newer version. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-desktop-customization/5369-windows-7-classic-start-menu.html

Another alternative can be located here: Vista-Start-Menu-SE
Please, do not link to a download portal. Better link to the homepage of the programmer to always be sure to get the newest version. Vista Start Menu – Convenient alternative to Start menu

I can get rid of the glitch quite easily, by moving the taskbar to another position.... just a weird bug within windows!
I can confirm this effect on a "MSI Netbook" and also can rid of this by moving the taskbar to another position.

CSMenu Version 0.4

Once again, please post any bugs, constructive criticsm etc...

=====================
Version 0.4 Changelog
=====================

* Icons are hopefully fixed that didn't work properly before

* Localization should be fixed

* Configuration program now works on displays as small as 800x600 (I've just moved the save button).

* Menu works with the location of the taskbar in mind, so if you have the menu up the left hand side, then CSMenu will open next to the icon you've clicked.

* Will now expand left if the screen has been filled, or your taskbar is on the right hand side of the screen.

Last edited:
Thank you again - very good job - in a very short time.

But I see that the alphabetical order of menu folders and entries is in English.
For example:
English: "Accessories", 1. position in list
German: "Zubehör", 1. place in list, should be: last position in list

And (but not important): Can you change the extension of csm-files to ini.files ? ini-files are easier to edit (double click and they open in text editor).

Always prefer Classic. It's a shame it's going away. Having to use a scroll wheel to go through the all programs list is just not efficient and the Recent history (and pinning recently used programs) does not help. There is so much space on the desktop, I don't see why the start menu can't be utilized to cover some of that space instead of cluttering it all into a tiny compact area.

I've done my best to give the UI an XP feel to the way I always used it which is massive use of the quick launch. Pinning things to the taskbar clutters things more imho.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Sure there will be fixes along the way to address the classic look :D

Last edited:
the new one doesnt take over your screen, and I love the search (vista and win 7)

Being able to utilize the whole screen is one of the major benefits of the classic menu. Why shouldn't it ? Or do you prefer looking at your desktop background while "searching" for a program. Why do you need to search for a program in the first place anyway ? Because you can't find it quickly in that tiny matchbox that doesn't open and display it's contents automatically maybe ?

Back
Top Bottom