Windows 7 Classic vs. New Start Menu

Classic or New(Aero) Start Menu?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Classic view

I suppose it all depends on whether you are using a computer to do work, i.e write documents, compile applications and spread sheets or similar, in which case the classic view seems to be most suitable, or whether you are using the computer as a toy to play games, look at videos or similar in which case one of the flashy new menus will probably appeal. I still organise everything round directories in the dual pane view in explorer, with extensions shown for all files . Can't think why I would want to do anything differently.

Still I suppose it takes all sorts. I was speaking to someone the other day, can't remember the subject now, and I said that he could do what he wanted by editing the registry. He said he never went into the registry, he was afraid he would do some harm. So there you have it, some folks are in control of their computer (well more or less) and for others the computer controls them. To my mind if you are not prepared to edit the registry then you shouldn't be using a computer!

Has nobody heard of "learning by tinkering" these days:)

I suppose it all depends on whether you are using a computer to do work, i.e write documents, compile applications and spread sheets or similar, in which case the classic view seems to be most suitable, or whether you are using the computer as a toy to play games, look at videos or similar in which case one of the flashy new menus will probably appeal. I still organise everything round directories in the dual pane view in explorer, with extensions shown for all files . Can't think why I would want to do anything differently.

Still I suppose it takes all sorts. I was speaking to someone the other day, can't remember the subject now, and I said that he could do what he wanted by editing the registry. He said he never went into the registry, he was afraid he would do some harm. So there you have it, some folks are in control of their computer (well more or less) and for others the computer controls them. To my mind if you are not prepared to edit the registry then you shouldn't be using a computer!

Couldn't agree with you more. Now, please please post the key. I'll PAY you for the key

Yes I like tinkering :D

Hello and welcome,

The Classic Start Menu is for advanced users and Administrators that need to get somethuing accomplished fast.

There is no registry hack, believe me I've tryied.

I suggest you take a look at posts #16, 52, 55, 58, and 117.

At first, I had a hard time finding the "connect to" selection that I was used to, I found it in the task bar next to the speaker icon. I really like the "shut down" button being right there.

Do I like the classic one ?? No, I like the fresh new look better. The classic view looks tired and worn out.

So I vote for the new one. The more I use W7, the more I like it !!

Why did you wait that long ?

I also completely agree with you.. Tinkering is half the fun of using a Windows Operating System... ;)

Well, I look like a fool:redface:

I thought he was referring to hacking the Start menu through the registry.

Agreed, I tinker every day.

Surprising, but I haven't crashed Windows 7 by my tinkering.

CSMenu Version 0.5

Here is todays second release :) I will be updating the first post with this version, and removing all older versions from other posts to ensure that people are downloading the latest version! As usual, feedback is welcome. Thanks especially to unawave for all of the excellent feedback!

Thomas.

=====================
Version 0.5 Changelog
=====================

* Added the option to sort the menu by first letter of alphabet (although it's disabled by default because it's quite slow...)

* Added icons to the main menu

* Menus automatically resize

* Renamed settings files to have the extension of .ini for easier modification

* Designed a new graphic for the main section, more like the Vista style now.

* You can now have exe's running on the main menu (Run, for example). See the 5Run.ini which is included to see how.

* To assign an icon to a specific item on the main menu, name it the same as it's setting file (but with the .gif extension) and save in the 'icons' folder.

Last edited:
i just... love the new things, really. -count my vote in :p-

and i just can`t get why people are using the "classic theme" around this days, really.

Again: Very good job.

Can you insert a variable into the folder names which reflects the user name?

Example:
In "programs.ini" you have:
C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
I change it to:
C:\Users\unawave\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
If I have more then one user, then I need a copy of "CSMenu" for each user separate.

It would be better to have the possibility to install it once for all users and "CSMenu" should replace the user name by itself:
C:\Users\[user-name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

(Same for "documents.ini")

i just... love the new things, really. -count my vote in :p-

and i just can`t get why people are using the "classic theme" around this days, really.

The answer is simple: it's technically more advanced and easier to use. By the way: whats the difference between using search in a start menu and using it in DOS 3.21. It was called "Command search path" back then. With it you configured where DOS searched, much you like you have to do with the "search" thing now. Only, path didn't need to build a 64 GB index first to find the stuff blindingly fast.

What I don't understand is how can someone say this new menu is more advanced if it can't be customized ? I mean .. isn't this the power ? To be able to make it how you want ? When will this be possible ? In windows 9 ? windows 14 ?

Take a look at Autodesk 3ds max 2010 . They also made a radical change on the menu and UI. But I think that would be a truly advanced menu - because THAT CAN be CHANGED . You can change it with ease and you can make it including like it was before.

Instead Microsoft says : Here are the new and most advanced UI. But you can't do that . Also that isn't possible with the new menu. Aamm...that is not possible either.

After the tremendous success of Vista and the way it clobbered XP out of the market in no time and with the arrival of it's successor which has so many new colourfull but useless "gadgets" but no configurable start menu, what would you say that the chances are of there actually being a Windows 9 ? Let's see, Vista was released about 3 years ago and they're still selling laptops here with XP pre-installed. Don't misunderstand me, I like Vista.
Basically there are 2 types of users: home users with little money and corporate decision makers with money. Windows 7 is targeted at the first group , most of whom are so stupid that Microsoft could get a lame donkey, tuck a few colourfull feathers in it's ears and sell it to them. They'd all be delighted with this colourfull thing, saying it was the vehicle of the future.
The corporate decision makers don't fall for colourful feathers, they'll see it's a lame donkey right away. And they are the ones who decide where the money goes to.

Last edited:
DId you make this using notepad?

IT looks good, but can you make it so when you hover your mouse over "programs" it's more light blue like the rest if the aero theme. I think it'll look better

Nah the notepad files are the settings which the program loads. The actual program was written in Visual Studio 2008 using the C# language. Yes I agree about the light blue colour matching the Aero theme better, but I personally prefer the dark blue. However, there is a configuration program, so if you understand what you are doing then you can modify the colours which are shown. The dark blue is just the default.

HEY !!! What happened with the classic start menu ???? Looks like Windows development has shifted its focus to smoking grass. This thing looks like crap. And what is the difference between Quick Start and "pinning" links to the taskbar ?

Last edited by a moderator:
the new one doesnt take over your screen, and I love the search (vista and win 7)

Also removing the "my" from everything makes it seem so much cleaner. I know i am on "MY" computer, why tell me, lol.

Got to say I am a firm advocate of the new look . Its fast and easy to navigate once you get used to it :D

i should be able to change it,

but i think its a prefrence as some people like the "washed out blue" but some hate it, as it isn't very bight or stands out.

Im working on something to improved the dark blue highlight it makes it look more 3-d and fades out so its darker in the middle but lighter on the outside. Im going to try it on this classic menu - if thats OK with you?

Feel free to do whatever you like. It works for me - which is the reason I wrote it, so you can do whatever you like. I can post the soruce code if you like (it's in C#, and was written using Visual Studio 2008).

Ok I can't get to the PC which they're stored on tonight, but I should have got around to uploading them by this time tomorrow. I'll also scan in my handwritten notes explaining what the variables do :D They're not very tidy notes though...

Back