Windows 7 clean install of 7 with upgrade version

drbenne81

I would like to do a clean install of windows 7 on my laptop which currently has vista preinstalled. Am i able to wipe the HD of all traces of vista and do a clean install of windows 7 with an upgrade file? I am trying to find out if i am eligible for the student upgrade of windows 7 professional which im assuming would have to be downloaded first then installed over vista but i would rather delete vista altogether.

thanks..

Dave

Assuming you have enough disk space, the guaranteed way to use your upgrade disk is to install (with the boot disk) in your existing partition. It will save all of your Vista files in a folder windows.old which you can easily delete after the clean install.

I would like to do a clean install of windows 7 on my laptop which currently has vista preinstalled. Am i able to wipe the HD of all traces of vista and do a clean install of windows 7 with an upgrade file? I am trying to find out if i am eligible for the student upgrade of windows 7 professional which im assuming would have to be downloaded first then installed over vista but i would rather delete vista altogether.

thanks..

Dave

That is what i was trying to avoid. I just read the sticky at the top of this section and see that it is possible to do a clean install plus activation with an upgrade key using the upgrade media, however, I will be purchasing and downloading the upgrade from digital river. Does anyone know if that file is savable and can it be placed on a bootable dvd that would boot into a clean installation AFTER I delete the vista partition from my HD? They do provide an option for them to mail a hard copy of the windows 7 upgrade but it's like an extra $14.

Back