Windows 7 Clean install with Win7 upgrade version???

Hi,

Where did you read that?

One of the guys on another Forum I frequent rang MS to ask. He was told a qualifying version of Windows does need to be installed.

Ms told him a disc of 2000 or XP or Vista can be inserted when the installer asks - it will accept that.

It's good enough for me.

Hi,

Where did you read that?

One of the guys on another Forum I frequent rang MS to ask. He was told a qualifying version of Windows does need to be installed.

Ms told him a disc of 2000 or XP or Vista can be inserted when the installer asks - it will accept that.

It's good enough for me.

I like you are hoping I can just point the installer to my XP install disc...
(LINUX is looking better everyday)

To answer your question, here's one link:

Windows 7 pricing announced: cheaper than Vista (Updated) - Ars Technica

Windows XP users need to know that regardless of which edition they currently have installed (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Media Center Edition) and regardless of which edition of Windows 7 they are moving to (Home Premium, Professional , or Ultimate), they will need to perform a clean install, whether they buy the upgrade or full version. The hassle of backing up applications and user data will fall on the user; a clean install will not back up anything. Using Windows Easy Transfer, users can copy their important files and settings to an external USB stick, external hard drive, or DVD, and then move the data back after the installation.

The installer will verify that XP is genuine and Windows 7 will have to be installed on the same partition as the XP installation. The good news is that Microsoft is allowing XP users to buy the cheaper upgrade version if they want to (Microsoft typically lets owners of the two previous releases of Windows to do this, in this case XP and Vista).

PS: A workaround may be in my previous post;)

The double install dance is well known for Vista - I was fully expecting it to be the same for 7.

Assuming you can show it your XP dvd during install as an alternative - that will be quicker and easier.

It would certainly help if MS would make a clear announcement about the various ways it can be done.

I do not need to think about it.

In Europe, we cannot get uprade discs - only the Full version will be available ( at least initially ).

They are doing the FULL version at the Upgrade price (for a short while).

However that Upgrade price is 60% higher than the U.S. Upgrade price.

Differential pricing as always.

Back
Top Bottom