Windows 10 Clone programs from Windows "regular user account" to "administrator account".

ztplru

Extraordinary Member
Dear all,

I am looking to clone programs etc from Windows "regular user account" to "administrator account".
Basically i want to log with administrator account and have everything exactly the way i have with the user account i use now.

The reason for moving to administrator account is because of too many limitations with regular account.

I've been using regular account for a long period, but time has come to move things to admin user account.

What's the best way to do this? What 3rd party software or windows builtin tool you recommend?

Is "Method 2." here: How to Transfer Data from One User Account to Another in Windows 10/11 - EaseUS
what i'm looking for?

I don't understand why would you need to transfer/move programs from a user type to another. I don't even know if it is possible.
You just have to change the user type of the user you used until now from Standard to Administrator. Log in with your other admin account, go to user accounts, choose the user you want and change its type to Administrator. Log off and log in again with the user you just changed its type. You'll find your programs where you left them, but you won't have almost any limitations.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I don't understand why would you need to transfer/move programs from a user type to another. I don't even know if it is possible.
You just have to change the user type of the user you used until now from Standard to Administrator. Log in with your other admin account, go to user accounts, choose the user you want and change its type to Administrator. Log off and log in again with the user you just changed its type. You'll find your programs where you left them, but you won't have almost any limitations.

Hi GDany,

I have Win10 Enterprise.
My regular user account is with local administrator privileges. But i still get a lot of "you dont have permission to access this folder" or "permission to delete needed", etc. And i have to click OK all the time.

I had this issue with Win7 and when i used the administrator account without restrictions, everything got solved.

The UAC is already set to "never notify".

What else am i missing? God mode activation?

Hi GDany,

I have Win10 Enterprise.
My regular user account is with local administrator privileges. But i still get a lot of "you dont have permission to access this folder" or "permission to delete needed", etc. And i have to click OK all the time.

I had this issue with Win7 and when i used the administrator account without restrictions, everything got solved.

The UAC is already set to "never notify".

What else am i missing? God mode activation?
As far as I know, you can't avoid this type of messages, I also get them. But making a new admin user won't help. I usually get messages like "… you have to get administrator's permittion" or something like that.
I realy don't know how you could avoid this messages. Maybe somebody else could give some advice.

As far as I know, you can't avoid this type of messages, I also get them. But making a new admin user won't help. I usually get messages like "… you have to get administrator's permittion" or something like that.
I realy don't know how you could avoid this messages. Maybe somebody else could give some advice.

You can avoid like 95% of them. I've done it with win7!
I will have to research on this. But i will wait to see if some admin or experienced windows user, comments on this.

Add the regular account to the administrators group, done.
It is in the administrators group.
I still get some constant popups with some operations even with UAC to "never notify".
Maybe some 3rd party SW will get rid of all popups.

That's my wish anyway :)

Being in the "Administrators" group allows your password to be used for UAC, but it doesn't provide full filesystem permissions. If you want to access all directories without restrictions, that means using the built-in Administrator (net user Administrator /active:yes in privileged Command Prompt), which is heavily discouraged for security. However, if you already have UAC disabled in an administrative account, then there may not be much security difference, besides the protected directories. If you choose to use the built-in Administrator account, it requires setting up a new account, because it isn't possible to convert another account into the built-in Administrator. I highly recommend enabling UAC, as this helps mitigate the risks of the built-in Administrator, and doesn't reduce filesystem permissions. You can do that in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings, from inside the built-in Administrator.

Being in the "Administrators" group allows your password to be used for UAC, but it doesn't provide full filesystem permissions. If you want to access all directories without restrictions, that means using the built-in Administrator (net user Administrator /active:yes in privileged Command Prompt), which is heavily discouraged for security. However, if you already have UAC disabled in an administrative account, then there may not be much security difference, besides the protected directories. If you choose to use the built-in Administrator account, it requires setting up a new account, because it isn't possible to convert another account into the built-in Administrator. I highly recommend enabling UAC, as this helps mitigate the risks of the built-in Administrator, and doesn't reduce filesystem permissions. You can do that in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings, from inside the built-in Administrator.
Got it!
I will enable the built-in Administrator account (which i will use 100% of the time); and UAC.

But i will loose the program settings etc.
There is no way around this, right?

There is no difference in enabling the built-in admin account and making your user account a member of the administrators group.

There is no difference in enabling the built-in admin account and making your user account a member of the administrators group.
How do you do this? I can't find in Win10 the ability to associate a user to a users group, like we had in win7. All I can find is to change user's type from standard to administrator or viceversa. And why would you need to define a user as admin and also associate it with the admins group? A user defined as admin should inherit all admins group privileges, IMHO.

Changing the type to administrator is the same thing as just adding it to the administrators group

There is a difference. For example, try opening C:\Program Files\WindowsApps in an administrative account. Then try opening C:\Program Files\WindowsApps from the built-in Administrator.

If you want to get extremely technical yeah you might run into some minor differences in ACL controls, but anyone in the administrators group can alter ACLs on any directory or file since Windows follows the DACL ACL model.

Back
Top Bottom