Windows 10 Cloning an SSD to a new one - is it possible?

Hydrarchos

Hi all,

Hoping I'm not duplicating anything obvious, but what I found was already quite old. As a recent convert (albeit one that's still unsure) from MacOS, I wondered whether it would be possible to simply "clone" my Lenovo T470's SSD to a new, bigger one, so that I don't need to reconfigure the beast again from scratch. On a Mac that's a fairly trivial task, but as I'm still getting to grips with Windows I wondered whether you could give me some pointers, and perhaps even suggest software that might perform the task satisfactorily. Many thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for that! I really was afraid of having to invest another week to set up my machine.

Your very welcome!

Hope all goes well with the cloning.. :)

Hi, thanks to the help here I got the clone sorted. I still haven't bought the machine, but will do in January. The biggest headache is still finding satisfying replacements for the apps I used on my Mac. In some cases, I'm actually amazed about the lack of choice on Windows when compared to MacOS. I hadn't seen that one coming.

Anything in particular as we may be able to point you onto something better?

The most pressing one is a decent scientific reference manager. There are some available, and they're not horrible (even if some are), but none quite match the app I've been using on my Mac, Bookends. I shall probably end up with Zotero (as EndNote is entirely unacceptable), but a wider gamut of choices would have been nice. Same with Ulysses, my authoring system. Scrivener will do the trick, but it's not nearly as nice. Some of these things are personal, of course: objectively, Scrivener is at least as accomplished as Ulysses is, but it misses some key features (the main one being live Markdown parsing) and sometimes seems overly complicated.

Back