Windows 8 Computer died last night - How to use Win 8 install again

vinoman

Computer died last night - How to use Win 8 install again [solved]

Last night I had a computer crash and the motherboard is dead. :(

what do I do to use my hard drive again on another computer that I will buy so I can use this install of windows 8 again?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you may would like to use your hard drive on a new computer, you may wish to buy motherboard with same specification and with same model/brand. That would be the easiest way.

If you will purchase a completely different motherboard, you can still try accessing your installation of your win 8, but still there is a risk of system crash.

I recently changed motherboards upgrading and just connected everything back up. The system booted fine although I did perform a clean install regardless. Depending on the age of the failed MoBo, you might want to upgrade to a more recent board.

I recently changed motherboards upgrading and just connected everything back up. The system booted fine although I did perform a clean install regardless. Depending on the age of the failed MoBo, you might want to upgrade to a more recent board.

Thanks. I picked up another recycled PC, a Dell Optiplex 760 w/4GB RAM. Linux Mint 13 runs great on one hdd, I'll give Win 8 a try and see what happens. ;)

... ended up calling MS and told them what happened and they reactivated my copy of Win 8 on the Optiplex. I also was able to find the ATI drivers and Win 8 is running very well on this recycled PC. :)

[solved]

Back
Top Bottom