Windows 7 Computer keeps freezing up.

PattiChati

I have been having trouble with my computer being slow. After doing a repair install it is better, but it did not correct the "freezing up" part of it. Sometimes I can correct it by just clicking all over the screen and other times to ctrl, alt, del and click on different user, but it is a pain. Any one know why it would be freezing up? Thanks.

It doesn't sound like the repair install worked very well. You may be better off doing a clean install. What do you have for AV and how about posting some system specs.
Joe

It doesn't sound like the repair install worked very well. You may be better off doing a clean install. What do you have for AV and how about posting some system specs.
Joe

The repair install did fix some of the sporadic stuff it was doing, now I am trying to get the other big things. I am so naive I would be afraid to do a clean install.
I found my system specs and gave a shot of them to Elmer, because the verbiage was different and I didn't know what it meant. So he told me to send them to him. But that was a week ago I think and I havent heard back from him. Like I think your form asks for system speed and on my specs it didn't say system speed anywhere, so I didn't know where to put what - does that make any sense?

From what I have seen of your threads, you had a problem with the USB ports. You did a clean install, but now you are still having problems.

You need to take the system down to the basics. Remove any device you do not need for testing. If that doesn't work, start in Safe Mode and run there for a while, or get a live Linux CD and boot to that for testing.

There may just be something wrong with your system, things do break....

From what I have seen of your threads, you had a problem with the USB ports. You did a clean install, but now you are still having problems.

You need to take the system down to the basics. Remove any device you do not need for testing. If that doesn't work, start in Safe Mode and run there for a while, or get a live Linux CD and boot to that for testing.

There may just be something wrong with your system, things do break....

I did a repair install, but my computer just freezes up. I don't know what you mean by a live Linux CD. My AV is Microsoft Security essentials. It also takes a while to connect to any website. But I don't want to do a clean install. It is not bad enough for that.

If something isn't working, you need to find alternatives to test. Is it Windows, or your system?

If it is Windows, running the system from another OS, or even another install of the OS might pinpoint the problem. If you can boot to a USB device, then the bios sees them and makes them available. If they stop in Windows and the boot test is not sufficient, you can download and boot to a Live Linux cd/dvd (maybe Ubuntu) and run your system that way. You can then check your devices.

I am sure someone has recommended looking in the bios for the USB settings relating to Legacy?

USB drivers are normally contained in the Chipset drivers for your system. If you have not loaded a new version from the manufacturer's website, you might consider it. Windows 7 does a good job with basic drivers, so hard to say if this will help.

If you are still having the same BSOD problems you had in the BSOD forum, I probably cannot help if they could not.

If something isn't working, you need to find alternatives to test. Is it Windows, or your system?

If it is Windows, running the system from another OS, or even another install of the OS might pinpoint the problem. If you can boot to a USB device, then the bios sees them and makes them available. If they stop in Windows and the boot test is not sufficient, you can download and boot to a Live Linux cd/dvd (maybe Ubuntu) and run your system that way. You can then check your devices.

I am sure someone has recommended looking in the bios for the USB settings relating to Legacy?

USB drivers are normally contained in the Chipset drivers for your system. If you have not loaded a new version from the manufacturer's website, you might consider it. Windows 7 does a good job with basic drivers, so hard to say if this will help.

If you are still having the same BSOD problems you had in the BSOD forum, I probably cannot help if they could not.

I have to say that I really don't even understand what you are saying, I am not computer saavy.

OK, I think if the situation is really bothering you, a clean install will probably be necessary.

If you do that, watch what you install to see if it might start causing the problem.

OK, I think if the situation is really bothering you, a clean install will probably be necessary.

If you do that, watch what you install to see if it might start causing the problem.

There is really no other way to see why computer is freezing up? It never used to do that at all.

Has there been problems since installing Windows 7 that weren't there with Vista? Do you know if he did a clean install or just an upgrade of Vista?
Joe

I've read hundreds of these type of threads, where Windows 7 was installed as an upgrade over Vista, rather than a clean install. Without seeing the PC, I don't know if this was done. But I do know that in most of the instances where Vista was upgraded to 7, there was almost guaranteed problems. Once most of these users clean installed their computer with Windows 7, having the proper drivers, the problems went away.

BSOD's, freezing, all sorts of issues with upgrade installs. And I doubt that MSE is the problem. While I no longer push MSE, I can say that it's very computer friendly, on XP, Vista & Windows 7.

Seems like this "tech" would know how to do a clean install with upgrade media. It's no secret, it's been known for over 2 years now. Paul Thurrott done a tutorial on his SuperSite, sort of a walkthrough on doing it. Several other writers basically re-wrote the same article, it's the same.

How long ago was it that the tech done this install? If it was recently, he/she should stand behind their work, if it's a reputable place of business. If so, take it back, report the issues, & ask for a clean install, if it wasn't done as such from the beginning.

And did you get install media with your upgrade? You should have the install disk, and there should be a Windows 7 COA (sticker) on the bottom, side or back of the computer. If it's a notebook, it'll be on the bottom.

EDIT: Couldn't find Paul's tutorial, he must have included it in a book. But here's another on how to clean install Windows 7 with upgrade media, on a formatted or blank hard drive:

Link Removed - Not Found

Don't know if it's too technical for you, but I took the time to search anyway. This is the best link that I could find.

Cat

Last edited:
Has there been problems since installing Windows 7 that weren't there with Vista? Do you know if he did a clean install or just an upgrade of Vista?
Joe

Vista was terrible, that is why I upgraded to windows 7. The tech completely wiped the computer clean and then installed windows 7

Then it's likely that it's a bad driver, possible failing RAM, corrupt install, or incompatible program. Sometimes the drivers that's delivered from Windows Update aren't the best ones, many times they are very old (like back from 2001). Especially with USB drivers. Don't know why, but some of the words that I type doesn't show in the post. The first suggestion is possibly a bad driver.

Have you ran a memory test? There is a program that I use whenever I either suspect a hardware issue, or need to eliminate it from being the problem. This program is a well known one, and you can use it free for up to 30 days. No obligation to purchase anything.

PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software

Just download it & run it. This will at least let you know if you have memory, hard drive & video issues. It stress tests these areas, and upon completion, lets you know if there were any errors. If there are hardware errors, it'll pinpoint the issues.

Note that some issues, such as video ones, may be due to a bad or corrupted driver. If any video issues arises, it would be good to download the latest one for your computer, install it, & re-run that test.

There are sources of drivers that's free (such as Slim Drivers), but it's best to get them from either the OEM of the computer or the OEM of the involved component. I only use these driver finding services as a last ditch effort, like if I can't find one on Google. From one of your other posts, I take it that you know how to open the Device Manager. You can Google the names of any devices listed, followed by "Windows 7 64 bit", or whatever version of 7 that you're running. 32 & 64 bit drivers are often not interchangable, meaning that if your computer is 64 bit, you need a 64 bit driver.

Cat

Last edited:
Back